This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cold Start Emissions Optimisation Using an Expert Knowledge Based Calibration Methodology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As emissions regulations become more stringent, an efficient and effective method of rig-based transient engine calibration becomes increasingly desirable. It is known that approximately 80% of total drive-cycle exhaust emissions can be produced in the initial warm-up phase before catalyst ‘light-off’ is achieved and catalyst conversion efficiency increases. During this period, there is a clear trade-off that can be made in the strategy between the amount of thermal energy that is delivered to the catalyst and the amount of exhaust emissions produced during the time before catalyst ‘light-off’ is achieved. This paper examines whether an automated expert-knowledge based decision-making methodology can be used to find a satisfactory trade-off between these two parameters whilst reducing the iteration time and level of input required from a calibration engineer.
|Technical Paper||Emission Reduction Device for SULEV Vehicle Applications|
|Journal Article||Investigation of LEV-III Aftertreatment Designs|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of a FTIR Emission Measurement System for Legislated Emissions Using a SI Car|
CitationMcNicol, A., Figueroa-Rosas, H., Brace, C., Ward, M. et al., "Cold Start Emissions Optimisation Using an Expert Knowledge Based Calibration Methodology," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0139, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0139.
- Hunter, C. E.; Gardner, T. P.; Zakrajsek, C. E. (1990). Simultaneous Optimisation of Diesel Engine Parameters for Low Emissions Using Taguchi Methods. SAE Paper 902075.
- Yan, J.; Rogalla, R.; Kramer, T. (1993). Diesel Combustion and Transient Emissions Optimisation Using Taguchi Methods. SAE Paper 930600.
- Hochschwarzer, H.; Kriegler, W.; Schon, M. (1992). Fully Automatic Determination and Optimisation of Engine Control Characteristics. SAE Paper 920255.
- Andrews, S.; Cary, M.; Hilton, D. (1998). The Application of Design of Experiment and Multi Variable Optimisation to Cold Starting in an Automotive SI Engine. SAE Paper 981413.
- Ward, M. C.; Brace, C. J.; Vaughan, N. D.; Shaddick, G; Ceen, R.; Hale, T.; Kennedy, G. (2002). Bayesian statistics in engine mapping. In: Statistics and analytical methods in automotive engineering: IMechE conference transactions, September 2002, pp. 3-16. Bury St Edmunds: Professional Engineering Publishing.
- CP Engineering (2000). ICAM Component Manual.
- Mowll, D.; Robinson, D. R. (1996). Bayesian Experimental Design and its Application to Engine Research and Development. SAE Paper 961157.
- Mowll, D.; Robinson, D. R.; Pilley, A. D. (1997). Optimising Engine Performance and Emissions Using Bayesian Techniques. SAE Paper 971612.
- Lewe, J. H. (2002). A Spotlight Search Method for Multi-Criteria Optimisation Problems. 9th AAIA/ISSMO Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimisation, Atlanta, Sep. 2002.
- Marler, R. T.; Arora, J. S. (2003). Survey of Multi-Objective Optimisation Methods for Engineering [On Line] Available at http://www.ccad.uiowa.edu/∼tmarler/rtm/img/survey.pdf (Accessed August 4th, 2003).
- Sun J.; Sivashankar, N. (1997). An Application of Optimisation Methods to the Automotive Emissions Control Problem. Proceedings of the American Control Conference, Albuquerque, June 1997, 3, pp. 1608-1612.
- Sun, J.; Sivashankar, N. (1998). Issues in cold Start Emission Control for Automotive IC Engines. Proceedings of the American Control Conference, Philadelphia, June 1998, 3, pp. 1372-1376.
- Tamaki, H.; Kita, H.; Kobayashi, S. (1996). Multi-Objective Optimisation by Genetic Algorithms: A Review. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Evolutionary Computation, ICEC, pp. 517-522.
- Fonseca, C. M.; Fleming, P. (1998). Multiobjective Optimisation and Multiple Constraint Handling with Evolutionary Algorithms - Part I: A Unified Formulation. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics - Part A: Systems and Humans, 28(1), pp. 26-37.
- Sano, Y.; Kita, H.; Kamihira, I.; Yamaguchi, M. (2000). Online Optimisation of an Engine Controller by means of a Generic Algorithm using History of Search. IECON Proceedings (Industrial Electronics Conference), 4, pp. 2929-2934.
- Senecal, P. K.; Reitz, R. D. (2000). Simultaneous Reduction of engine Emissions and Fuel Consumption Using Genetic Algorithms and Multi-Dimensional Spray and Combustion Modeling. SAE Paper 2000-01-1890.
- Subramaniam, M. N.; Reitz, R. D. (2003). Reduction of Emissions and Fuel Consumption in a 2-Stroke Direct Injection Engine with Multidimensional Modeling and an Evolutionary Search Technique. SAE Paper 2003-01-0544.
- BS EN ISO 8178-1:1996. Reciprocating internal combustion engines - Exhaust emission measurement - Part 1: Test-bed measurement of gaseous and particulate exhaust emissions.
- Coleman, T.; Branch, M. A.; Grace, A. (1999). Optimization toolbox for use with MATLAB: user's guide. Natick, MA: The Math Works.
- Lee (1994). Bayesian Statistics, an Introduction. Edward Arnold
- Vehicle Certification Agency (2003), New Car Fuel Consumption and Emissions Figures