This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
MAGPASS-COAT ® as a Chrome-free Pre-treatment for Paint Layers and an Adhesive Primer for Subsequent Bonding
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of magnesium substrates is increasingly gaining in importance. More and more applications are being designed from the ultra-light base material magnesium. There are already various series components, especially from the automotive sector. Surface coatings are often applied due to the high wear and corrosion requirements of the components. The company AHC Oberflächen-technik has opted for this substrate for a long time and today is able to offer different types of coating technologies. One of the most interesting processes is MAGPASS-COAT®, a chrome-free passivation for magnesium substrates. This patented process is already applied in series productions like, for example, an inlet pipe and spot-welding tongs. The intention had been to offer an alternative for chromate conversion coatings and this aim was achieved.
In many cases new demands and constructional guidelines regarding specifications of base materials require a completely new technical design of the components. And that is exactly where AHC Oberflächen-technik sets in the service and consulting. In cooperation with the customers AHC Oberflächen-technik develops tailor-made solutions for specific requirements and applications.
CitationWalter, M. and Kurze, P., "MAGPASS-COAT® as a Chrome-free Pre-treatment for Paint Layers and an Adhesive Primer for Subsequent Bonding," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0134, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0134.
- Beck, A. „Magnesium und seine Legierungen” Springer-Verlag Berlin 1939
- Ono, S. „Metallurgical Science and Technology” 16 1-2 Nov. 1998 Surface phenomena and protective film growth on magnesium and magnesium alloys 91 104
- Pourbaix, M. „Atlas of Electrochemical Equilibria in Aqueous Solutions” Second National Association of Corrosion Engineers Houston 1974
- Schichtel, G. „Magnesium-Taschenbuch” VEB Verlag Technik Berlin 1954
- Jimenez, A. Schmidt, H. „Chrom(VI)-freie Nachbehandlungsverfahren” Metalloberfläche 53 9 46 49 1999
- Kurze, P. „Korrosionsschutz durch neue chromfreie Passivierung von Magnesiumwerkstoffen” Magnesium Automotive Seminar der Europäischen Forschungsgemeinschaft Magnesiumguss e.V., Tagungsband Aalen 29 30 09 1999
- Kurze, P. Singe, Th. Diesing, J. „Korrosionsschutz von Magnesiumwerkstoffen” Metalloberfläche 54 9 22 24 2000
- Juchmann, P. „Appropriate process chain for ultralight components out of magnesium sheet metal for transportation” Materials Week 2002 München 30 09 02 10 2002