This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Evaluation of a Multi-Burst Rapidly Operating Secondary Actuator Applied to Diesel Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The authors are conducting tests of a newly devised rapidly operating secondary actuator (ROSA) aimed at providing controllable multiple injection. An injection test cell has been constructed. Two test setups are available for both diesel spray visualization and flow rate measurements. Up to six shots per cycle were implemented. A high-speed digital camera was used to have accurate data regarding spray dynamics. Processed data are obtained for liquid jet tip velocity, injection shots duration, and their delay with regard to electric setup. The stability of phasing lies within 50 μs. The shortest injection shot duration is 74 μs, maximum variability of duration is 50 μs.
CitationIsmailov, M. and Schock, H., "Performance Evaluation of a Multi-Burst Rapidly Operating Secondary Actuator Applied to Diesel Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0022, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0022.
- Badami M., Mallamo F., Millo F., Rossi E.E.“Influence of Multiple Injection Strategy on Emissions, Combustion Noise and BSFC of a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 2002-01-0503.
- Henein N.A., LaiM-C., Sigh I.P., Zhong L., Han J.. “Characteristics of a Common Rail Diesel Injection System unde Pilot and Post Injection Modes”, SAE Paper 2002-01-0218.
- Trueba A., Barbeau B., Pajot O., Mokaddem K. “Pilot Injection Timing Effect on the Main Injection Development and Combustion in a DI Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 2002-01-0501.
- Payri F., Benajes J., Pastor J.V., Molina S. “Influence of the Post-Injection Pattern on Performance, Soot and NOX Emissions in a HD Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 2002-01-0502.
- Greeves G., Tullis S., Barrie Barker. “Advanced Two-Actuator EUI and Emissions Reduction for Heavy-Duty Engines”, SAE Paper 2003-01-0698.
- Zhong L., Sigh I.P., Han J., Lai M-C, Henein N.A. “Effect of Cycle-toCycle Variation in the Injection Pressure in a Common Rail Diesel Injection System on Engine Performance”, SAE Paper 2003-01-0700.
- Bianchi G.M., Falfari S., Pelloni P., Kong S-C., Reitz R.D. “Numerical Analysis of High-Pressure Fast-Response Common Rail Injector Dynamics”, SAE Paper 2002-01-0214.
- Riccardo B., “Method of controlling combustion of a direct-injection diesel engine by performing multiple injections”, C.R.F. Societa' Consottile per Azioni, European patent EP 1 035 314 A2, 2000.
- Robert Bosch GmbH. “Diesel-engine management”, SAE book, 2nd edition, 306 p.. 1999
- Heisler Heinz. “Advanced Engine Technology”, SAE book, 794 p., 2000
- Rodrigues-Amaya N., Melsheimer A., Resuing V., Leifert V. “Method for injection of fuel with multiple triggering of a control valve” Robert Bosch GmbH, US patent 2002/0083919 A1, 2002.
- He Jian, Li X.. “Feul Injector Assembly and Internal Combustion Engine including Same”, Detroit Diesel Corporation, US patent 6,390,069 B1, 2002
- Brian M.G. “Method and apparatus for delivering multiple fuel injection to the cylinder of an engine wherein the pilot fuel injection occurs during the intake stroke”, Caterpillar Inc., International patent WO 02/06652 A2, 2002
- Yoshizawa K., Teraji A., Miyakubo H., Hiraya K. “Enhanced multiple injection for auto-ignition in internal combustion engines”, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd, US patent US 2001/0056322 A1, 2001
- Meyer W. “Method and apparatus for control of current rise time during multiple fuel injection events”, Cummins Engine Company, Inc., US patent 6,031,707, 2000
- Goldsmith M. “Denso 1,800-Bar Common Rail System”, Denso release, SAE World Congress Exhibit, 2003
- Ismailov M.. “Systems and methods for operating an electromagnetic actuator”, Combustion Dynamics Corporation”, US Utility Patent application Serial No. 10/389,183, filed March 14, 2003
- Ismailov M., Obokata T., Kobayashi K., Polayev V. “LDA/PDA Measurements of Instantaneous Basic Characteristics of Fuel Injection and Swirl Spray”, J. Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 27, 1 - 11, 1999