This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Modeling of a Heavy-Truck Unit-Injector System and Its Applications in the Engine Design Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Currently, to fulfill new engine regulation, the optimization of FIE system becomes more and more crucial, especially to understand the evolution of pressure during the injection event, the multiple injection interaction with injector and cam features.
This document shows the modeling and simulation of the Delphi E3 Electronic Unit Injector (EUI) mounted in the new Volvo Powertrain engine environment. The development is based on a 1D lumped parameter approach, which has been performed in the AMESim® environment considering standard libraries for the mechanical, hydraulic and control parts.
The accomplished work is an advanced model with special focuses on precise elements such as the rocker arm and follower subsystem, the two actuators in the EUI, the detailed nozzle with pressure gradient and the injection holes including cavitation effects. The first step is then to check the model reliability and accuracy; these criteria are estimated through comparisons to experiments for various operating points. The measurements vs simulations comparison has been performed with an internal test bench capable of measuring the plunger pressure, the needle lift and the injected flow rate.
Furthermore this article describes some applications where this model has been used, such as the optimization of cam profile for a better control of pilot and post injections, influence on flow rate with abrasive flow honed nozzle spray holes, needle response phenomena understanding, prediction of pressure drops within the injector and evaluation of the difference between measured and physical values. These effective applications show the full integration of the modeling work in the design process which is a real contribution in the understanding and the optimization of injection system features and its engine environment design.
CitationChaufour, P., Millet, G., Hedna, M., Neyrat, S. et al., "Advanced Modeling of a Heavy-Truck Unit-Injector System and Its Applications in the Engine Design Process," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0020, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0020.
Diesel Engines on CD-ROM from the SAE 2004 World Congress
Number: SP-1834CD; Published: 2004-03-08
Number: SP-1834CD; Published: 2004-03-08
Diesel Fuel Injection and Sprays 2004
Number: SP-1824; Published: 2004-03-08
Number: SP-1824; Published: 2004-03-08
- “AMESim User Manual” IMAGINE, Version 4.1.0 April
- “Hydraulic Component Design User Manual” & “Electro-Mechanical User Manual” IMAGINE, Version 4.1.0 April 2003
- “Control of Fluid Power: Analysis and Design” Mc Cloy D. Martin HR. John Wiley & Sons Inc. 1980
- “Fluid Power Control” Blackburn, J.F. Reethof, G. Shearer, J.L. Dunod, The Technology Press of MIT John Wiley & Sons 1966
- “Emission Reduction with Advanced Two-Actuator EUI for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Tullis, S. Greeves, G. Dr Barker, B. Delphi Diesel Systems UK, ImechE, Fuel Injection Systems 26-27 11 2002
- “Investigation of a Two Valve Electronically Controlled Unit Injector on a Euro IV Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Using Design of Experiments Methods” Such, C. Rogers, BJ. Best, C. Ricardo Consulting Engineers Ltd, ImechE, Fuel Injection Systems 26-27 11 2002
- “Models for Injection Nozzles” Favennec, AG. Lebrun, M. The Sixth Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power 99 Tampere, Finland May 26-28 1999
- “Analysis of the Dynamic Behaviour of the Circuit of a Common Rail Direct Injection System” Favennec, AG. Minier, P. Lebrun, M. Fourth JHPS International Symposium of Fluid Power, Tokyo'99 15-17 november 1999
- “Dynamic Analysis of Diesel Engine Common Rail Injection System. Part I: Injector Dynamics” Borghi, M. Milani, M. Piraccini, M. 2001 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Expostion novembre 11-16 2001
- “Dynamic Analysis of Diesel Engine Common Rail Injection System. Part II: Four-Cylinder Injection System” Borghi, M. Milani, M. Piraccini, M. 2001 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Expostion novembre 11-16 2001
- “Modeling and Control of a Common Rail System for Diesel Multiple Injections” Corcione, G.E. La Rosa, M. Lavorgna, M. Giuffrida, A. Lanzafame, R. SAE 2001-01-014
- “Proposal for a re-usable models library application to an injection system for diesel engine” Lebrun, M. Richards, C. Fargeton, D. Fourth JHPS International Symposium of Fluid Power Tokyo 15-17 november 1999 249 254
- “Advanced Modeling of Common Rail Injector Dynamics and Comparison with Experiments” Bianchi, GM. Falfari, S. Parotto, M. SAE 2003-01-0006
- “Direct Injection Diesel Sprays and the Effect of Cavitation and Hydraulic Flip on Atomization” Soteriou, C. Andrews, R. Smith, M. SAE paper 950080 27 52 1995
- “Effect of Cavitation on Flow and Turbulence in Plain Orifices for High Speed Atomization” He, L. Ruiz, F. Atomization and Sprays 5 1995 569 584
- “Experimental and Theoretical Study on Cavitation Characteristics of Long Orifices in Steady and Unsteady Flow” Ke, J. Yamagshi, A. 3rd JHPS International Symposium on Fluid Power 455 460 Yokohama, Japan November 1996
- “Discharge Coefficient of Long Orifices with Cavitating Flow” Pearce, I.D. Lichtarowicz, A. 2 nd Fluid Power Symposium Guilford, England January 1971
- “Simulation of Cavitating Flows in Diesel Injectors” von Dirke, M. Krautter, A. Ostertag, J. Mennincken, M. Badock, C. Oil & Gas Science and Technology 223 226 2 1999
- “Numerical Simulation of Cavitating Flows in Diesel Injectors by a Homogeneous Equilibrium Modeling Approach” Dumont, N. Simonin, O. Habchi, C. CAV2001, Session B6 005
- “Experimental Study of Cavitation in the Nozzle Hole of Diesel Injector Using Transparent Nozzle” Chaves, H. Knapp, N. Kubitzek, A. Obermeier, F. Schneider, T. SAE paper 950290 1995
- “Isolated Effects of Ambient Pressure, Nozzle Cavitation and Hole Inlet Geometry on Diesel Injection Spray Characteristics” Goney, K. H. Corradini, M.L. SAE paper No 2000-01-2043
- “A Validated Numerical Simulation of Diesel Injector Flow Using a VOF Method” Macer, R. Le Cottier, P. Chaves, H. Argueyrolles, B. Habchi, C. Barbeau, B. SAE paper No 2000-01-2932
- “Development of Cavitation and Enhanced Injector Models for Diesel Fuel Injection System Simulation” Lee, H.K. Russell, M.F. Bae, C.S. Shin, H.D. IMechE 2002, D07601 216 607 618
- De Groen O Kok, D. 1996
- “Contribution of Optimum Design for Nozzle Configuration to Spray Formation” Kano, H. Kato, M. Kojima, T. Katagiri, M.
- “Investigation of Diesel Spray Primary Break-up and Development for Different Nozzle Geometries” Han, J.S. Lu, P.H. Xie, X.B. Lai, M.C. Henein, N.A. SAE paper N o 2002-01-2775 2002
- “Pressure Components Stability: a Revisited Approach” Alirand, M. Favennec, G. Lebrun, M. International Journal of Fluid Power 1 o 2 2002 27 38
- “Local Approach to Improve the Global Approach of Hydraulic Forces in Ball Poppet Valves” Clavier, A. Alirand, M. Vernat, F. Sagot, B. 4 th Int. Symposium on Fluid Power Wuhan, China April 8-10 2003
- “Expeditous Design of Mechatronic Systems Using a VHDL-AMS Based Standard Library - A Common Rail Example” Lasa, M. Heinkel, H.M. Moser, E. Rothfuss, R. SAE'2000 Paper 2000-01-0581 Detroit, MI March 6-9 2000
- “EMI2 User Manual”
- “The Fuel Rate Indicator: a New Measuring Instrument For Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection” Bosch, W. Society of Automotive Engineers October 17-21 1966
- “Development of a New Measurement Tool for Fuel Injection Rate in Diesel Engines” Takamura, A. Fukushima, S. Omori, Y. Kamimoto, T. SAE paper N o 890317 February 27 March 3 1989
- “Cams: Design, Dynamics and Accuracy” Rothbart, H. A. John Wiley & Sons Inc. 1956
- “Vibrations of Cam Mechanism - Consequences of their Design” Koster, M.P. MacMillan Press Ltd. 1974
- “Engine Valve Control with AMESim” Orand, N. Imagine presentation and internal documents on valve train modeling 2002
- “A Simplified Model for a Fluid Transmission Line” Leonard, R. G. The Pennsylvania State University, Ph.D. 1970
- “A Finite Element Model of Hydraulic Pipelines Using an Optimized Interlacing Grid System” Sanada, K. Richards, C.W. Longmore D.K. Johnson, D.N. Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 207 213 208 1993
- “Frequency-dependent Friction in Transient Pipe Flow” Zielke, W. Trans. ASME J. Basic Engng 90 109 115 1968