This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation of Intake Port Flow by Using VECTIS CFD Code
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a computational study of the flow field through the intake port of a MPFI gasoline engine. Three dimensional, unsteady, compressible flow within the port and cylinder for the intake and compression strokes has been simulated using the VECTIS CFD code. The flow structure was investigated at various valve lifts. Furthermore, some characteristics such as in-cylinder pressure and volumetric efficiency were compared with the experimental data. Boundary conditions were employed by complete 1-D simulation of the engine using commercial WAVE software. Variable pressure at the intake port was used as the boundary condition. Comparison of the computational results of WAVE and the experimental data showed a good comparison.
|Technical Paper||Combustion Model for Rapid Prototyping|
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Pressure Loss and In-Cylinder Flow of a Four Strokes Engines Using CFD Modeling|
|Technical Paper||Mechanical Cushion Design Influence on Cylinder Dynamics|
CitationNassiri-Toosi, A., Raei-Tabar, ., and Ghamari, M., "Numerical Simulation of Intake Port Flow by Using VECTIS CFD Code," SAE Technical Paper 2003-32-0072, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-32-0072.
- Aita S. Tabbal A. Munck G. Montmayeur N. “Numerical Simulation of Swirling Port-Valve-Cylinder Flow in Diesel Engines” SAE TECHNICAL PAPER, No. 910263 1991
- Dent J.C. Chen A. “An Investigation of steady Flow through a Curved Inlet Port” SAE TECHNICAL PAPER, No. 940522 1994
- Ramadan Bassem “A Study of Swirl Generation in DI Engines Using KIVA-3V” SAE TECHNICAL PAPER 2001
- Bauer Wolf Heywood John B “Flow Characteristics in Intake Port of Spark Ignition Engine Investigation by CFD and Transient Gas Temperature Measurement” SAE TECHNICAL PAPER, No. 961997 1996
- Gharakhani Adrin Ghoniem ahmed. F. “3D Vortex Simulation of Intake Flow in a Port-Cylinder with a Valve Seat and a Moving Piston” SAE TECHNICAL PAPER, No. 961195 1996
- Huh Kang Y. Choi Chang Ryol Kim Jong Gyu “Flow Analysis of the Helical Intake Port and Cylinder of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine” SAE TECHNICAL PAPER, No. 952069 1995
- Colin, R. Fergusen, Allan Kirkpatrick, T. Internal Combustion Engines Applied Thermosciences John Wiley & Sons, Inc 1998
- Heywood, John B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Company 1987
- Annand W.J.D., B.Sc Roe G.E. M.A Ph.D Gas Flow in the Internal Combustion Engine Hassner Publishing, Inc 1990
- VECTIS: Theory manual Computational Fluid Dynamic Software Ricardo Co. February 2001