This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reduction of Exhaust Gas Emission in a SI Two Stroke Engine with Direct Fuel Mixture Injection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recently in order to decrease of the exhaust emission and fuel consumption in the modern small SI two-stroke engines a direct fuel injection is applied or a rich fuel mixture is delivered directly to the cylinder. In order to increase the time required to vaporize all injected fuel and create a stratified charge with the rich mixture near the spark plug, a new concept of preparation and injection of the fuel mixture was analysed and tested. This paper includes a short description of the system shown in enclosed figures, the mathematical model of the charge exchange in the chamber and the cylinder and also the model of fuel vaporization in the chamber. The main aim of the paper was a comparison of the thermodynamic parameters especially the emission of CO, HC and CO2 obtained from experimental tests and from a simulation process in KIVA program for the standard carburetted engine and the engine with proposed system at some rotational speeds and control configurations.
CitationMitianiec, W., "Reduction of Exhaust Gas Emission in a SI Two Stroke Engine with Direct Fuel Mixture Injection," SAE Technical Paper 2003-32-0048, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-32-0048.
- Duret P. Venturi S. The IAPAC Fluid Dynamically Controlled Automotive Two-Stroke Combustion Process A New Generation of Two-Stroke Engines for the Future?, International Seminar 29-30 11 1993 Rueil-Malmaison 2-7108-0654-1
- Landfarher K. Plohberger d. Alten H. Mikulic A. Thermodynamic Analysis and Optimization of Two-Stroke Gasoline Engines SAE Paper 890415 , International Congress and Exposition Detroit 1989
- Leighton S.R. et al The Orbital Combustion Process for Future Small Two-Stroke Engines A New Generation of Two-Stroke Engines for the Future?, International Seminar 29-30 11 1993 Rueil-Malmaison 2-7108-0654-1
- Mitianiec W. Fuel Injection in Two-Stroke Engines of Small Power Polish Academy of Science Cracow 1999
- Mitianiec W. Direct Injection of Fuel Mixture in a Spark Ignition Two-Stroke Engine SAE 2002-01-0830 , SAE 2002 World Congress Detroit March 2002
- Mitianiec W. Fundamentals of controlling of rich mixture injection system in SI two-stroke engine Conference Materials AUTOPROGRES-KONMOT 2002 2 Industrial Institute of Motorization Pasym May 2002
- Mitianiec W. Aspects of Mixture Injection in SI Two-Stroke Engine Development of Design of Internal Combustion Engines and Quality of Fuels to Meet Future Level PAN Cracow 2001
- Nuti M. Pardini R. Caponi D. FAST Injection System: PIAGGIO Solution for ULEV 2T SI Engines SAE 970362 , SAE International Congress & Exposition Detroit 1997
- Marek W. Mitianiec W. Reduction of exhaust gas emission in a two-stroke engine with pneumatic fuel injection SAE 2002-01-21682181 - Automotive Transport Technology Congress Paris July 2002
- Heywood J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill 1988
- Amsden A.A. KIVA-3V Release 2, Improvements to KIVA-3V Los Alamos 1999
- Spalding D.B. GENTRA User Guide CHAM London 1997
- Durret P. Lavy J. Venturi S. SCIP Simplified Direct Injectionfor Low Emissions Small Two-Stroke Engines SAE 1999-01-3289 SETC Madison 1999
- Gambino M. Iannaconne S. Two-stroke direct injection spark ignition engine for two wheelers SAE 2001 01 1842/4261 SETC Pisa 2001