This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Novel Micro Free-Piston Swing Engine (MFPSE) and the Validation of Its Feasibility (Part 1)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work, a novel two-stroke cycle Micro Free-Piston Swing Engine (MFPSE), which is inspired by the concept of Micro Internal Combustion Swing Engine (MICSE), is put forward, and it is especially designed to serve as a prime mover for man-portable power generation systems. Then, the working principle, timing control cycle of gas exchange and ignition, structure and operation advantages is discussed. Finally, a prototype, which parameters of timing control and geometry are designed by means of reference with the traditional two-stroke cycle internal combustion engines, is manufactured. The successful ignition experiment manifests that this new concept of engine is feasible and worthy to be further studied.
CitationZhang, S. and Wang, J., "A Novel Micro Free-Piston Swing Engine (MFPSE) and the Validation of Its Feasibility (Part 1)," SAE Technical Paper 2003-32-0021, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-32-0021.
- Linden. D. Handbook of Batteries and Fuel Cells McGraw-Hill Book Company 1995
- Spearing S.M. Chen K.S. “Micro-Gas Turbine Engine Materials and Structures,” 21 st Annual Cocoa Beach Conference and Exposition on Composites, Advanced Ceramics, Materials and Structures January 1997
- Fu, K. Knobloch, A. J. Cooley, B. A. Walther, D. C. Fernandez-Pello, C. Liepmann, D. Miyasaka, K. 2001 “Microscale Combustion Research for Applications to MEMS Rotary IC Engine” Proceedings, 2001 National Heat Transfer Conference
- Fu, K. Knobloch, A. J. Martinez, F.C. Walther, D. C. Fernandez-Pello, C. Pisano, A.P. Liepmann, D. Miyasaka, K. Maruta, K. 2001 “Design and Experimental Results of Small-Scale Rotary Engines” Proceedings, accepted to 2001 International Mech-anical Engineering Congress and Exposition
- Allen Mark G. Permanent Magnet MEMS Arrays: Application to Combustion-Driven Power Generation MTO MEMS Principal Investigators Meeting January 2000
- Dahm Werner J.A. Ni Jun Mijit Kevin et al Micro Internal Combustion Swing Engine (MICSE) for Portable Power Generation Systems AIAA Paper No. 2002-0722 presented at the 40 th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting January 14-17 2002 Reno, NV
- Heywood John B. Sher Eran The Two-Stroke Cycle Engine: Its Development, Operation, and Design Taylor & Francis 1999 155 207
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Fundamentals McGraw New York 1988 205 270