This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of Radical Behavior in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Using Dimethyl Ether
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Attention has recently been focused on homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) as an effective combustion process for resolving issues inherent to the nature of combustion. Dimethyl ether (DME; CH3OCH3) has attracted interest as a potential alternative fuel for compression ignition engines. We measured the HCCI process of DME in a test diesel engine by using a spectroscopic method. Simultaneous measurements were also done on exhaust emissions of hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO) and nitrogen oxides (NOx). Based on the experimental data, this paper discusses the relationship between the equivalence ratio and the observed tendencies.
- Kazuto Shimada - Fuji Heavy Industry Ltd.
- Kenji Shibano - Fuji Heavy Industry Ltd.
- Takahiro Koseki - Nihon University Graduate School
- Shinichi Tamura - Nihon University Graduate School
- Hideaki Kashiwagi - Nihon University Graduate School
- Koji Yoshida - Nihon University
- Hideo Shoji - Nihon University
CitationKoseki, T., Tamura, S., Kashiwagi, H., Yoshida, K. et al., "Measurement of Radical Behavior in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Using Dimethyl Ether," SAE Technical Paper 2003-32-0006, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-32-0006.
- Iida, N. Igarashi “Study of Auto Ignition and Combustion in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine” Proceedings of the 14th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium 277 282 1997
- Kajitani, S. Chen, Z.L. Konno, M. Rhee, K.T. “Engine Performance and Exhaust Characteristics of Direct-Injection Diesel Engine with DME” SAE Paper 972973 1997
- Goto, S. Lee, D. Joseph, S. Harayama, N. Honjyom F. Ueno, H. “Performance and Emission of an LPG Lean-Burn for Heavy Duty Vehicles” SAE Paper 1999-01-15 1999
- Oguma, M. Gisoo, H. Goto, S. Konno, M. Kajitani, S. “Automization Characteristics for Various Ambient Pressure of Dimethyl Ether(DME)” SAE Paper 2002-01-1711 2002
- Ono, Y. Shudo, T. “Research on HCCI Combustion of Dimethyl Ether and Methanol-Reformed Gas” Proceedings of JSAE 2001
- Oguma, M. Hyun, G. Alam, M. Goto, S. Konno, M. Oyama, K. “Combustion Radical Observation of DME Diesel Engine by Spectroscopic Method” Proceedings of JSAE 2001
- Suzuki, T. Yonetani, H. Fukutani, I. “Examination of fuel supply System in DME compression ignition engine” Proceedings of JSAE 2002
- Kawahara, N. Tomita, E. Kagajyo, H. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with Dimethyl Ether” Proceedings of JSAE 2002
- Oguma, M. Machida, H. Minegishi, K. Konno, M. Kajitani, S. “A Study of Low Compression Ratio Dimethyl Ether (DME) Diesel Engine” Transaction of JSME 66 648B 2241 2247 2000
- Furutani, M. Ohta, Y. “A Novel Method of Eliminating Piston-Compression Ignition” Transactions of JSME 60 571B 1074 1079 1994
- Koyama, T. Ibaraki, Y. Iida, N “Numerical Calculation of the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Process by using Elementary Reaction Model of Dimethyl Ether” Transaction of JSME 67 657B 1267 1273 2001
- Konno, M. Chen, Z. Kajitani, S. Yoneda, K. Oguma, M. Goto, S. “Examination of Dimethyl Ether HCCI Combustion from the Viewpoint of Chemical Reaction” Proceedings of JSAE 2002
- Ohta, Y. Furutani, M. Komatu, K. “Onset Behavior of Low-Temperature Autoignition Caused by Piston Compression” Proceedings of the 10th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium 265 270 1992
- Kono, M, S. Kumagai, S. Inuma K. “Thermodynamic and Experimental Determination of Knocking Intensity by Using a Spark Ignited Rapid Compression Machine” Combustion and Flame 54 33 47 1983
- Green, R. M. Cernansky, N. P. Pitz, W. J. Westbook, C. K. “The Role of Low Temperature Chemistry in Autoignition of N-Butane” SAE Paper 872108 1987
- Curran, J. H. J. Pitz, W. J. Westbrook, C. K. Dagaut, P. Boettner, J-C. Cathonnet, M. “A Wide Range Modeling Study of Dimethyl Ether Oxidation” International Journal of Chemical Kinetics 30 3 229 241 1998
- Pearse, R.W.B. Gaydon, A.G. “The Identification of Molecular Spectra (Third Edition)” Chapman & Hall Ltd. 1963
- Ohara, H. Ogawa, J. Yoshida, K. Shoji, H. Saima, A. “An Analysis of Light Emission Intensity Behavior Corresponding to Intermediate Products in Different Places of the Combustion Chamber” SETC2001, Paper No. 2001 01 1882
- Tosaka, Y. Shoji, H. Saima, A. “A study of the influence of intermediate combustion products on knocking” JSAE Review 9533460 19 3 1995
- Leppard, W. R. “The Autoignition Chemistry of Isobutane: A Motored Engine Study” SAE Paper 881601 1988
- Leppard, W. R. “The Autoignition Chemistries of Primary Reference Fuels, Other Mixture and Blending Octane Numbers” SAE Paper 922325 1992
- Kuroda H. Nakajima, Y. “Potentiality of the Modification of Engine Combustion Rate for NOx formation Control in the Premixed S.I. Engine” SAE Paper 750353