This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Noise Reduction Potential of Single Cylinder DI Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper deals with the noise reduction potential of single cylinder DI diesel engines with a piston displacement of 0.2-0.8dm3 and a rated power of 3-13kW. Typically these engines are used to drive small portable power generators, pumps or small building machines.
The rather noisy single cylinder DI diesel production engines of the seventies and eighties are replaced by totally new developed and less noisy modern engines in the nineties. Their acoustical efficiencies were decreased from around 5-17 10-6 in the seventies and eighties to 3-6 10-6 in the nineties.
A further noise reduction will be possible. Using modern techniques like experimental modal analysis and FEM an experimental low noise single cylinder DI diesel engine was developed.
CitationSpessert, B., "Noise Reduction Potential of Single Cylinder DI Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2003-32-0004, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-32-0004.
- Kochanowski H.A.: Performance and Noise Emission of of a New Single Cylinder Diesel Engine - with and without Encapsulation; Second Conference on Small Internal Combustion Engines C372/023, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, April 1989
- Spessert B., Kochanowski H.A.: Geräuschemission von Dieselmotoren (Noise Emission of Diesel Engines); im Handbuch Dieselmotoren, Mollenhauer Herausgeber K., 2. Auflage 2002, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg New York ISBN 3-540-41239-5
- Flotho A., Spessert B.: Development Methods of Low Noise Diesel Engines; SAE 872249
- Spessert B.:Noise Reduction in Construction Machinery and Agricultural Vehicles; AVL Conference “Engine and Environment” 1990, Graz (Austria)
- Havenith C., Hoecker M., Spessert B. and Haller H.:Development of an Air-Cooled Low Noise Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine; SAE 892496