This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Side Impact Thoracic Injury Criteria and Their Application to the Modified ES-2 Dummy with Rib Extensions (ES-2re)
Published October 27, 2003 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Forty-two side impact cadaver sled tests were conducted at 24 and 32 km/h impact speeds into rigid and padded walls. The post-mortem human subjects were instrumented with accelerometers on the ribs and spine and chest bands around the thorax and abdomen to characterize their mechanical response during the impact. Load cells at the wall measured the impact force at the level of the thorax, abdomen, pelvis, and lower extremities. The resulting injuries were determined through detailed autopsy and radiography. Rib fractures with or without associated hemo/pneumo thorax or flail chest were the most common injury with severity ranging from AIS=0 to 5. Full and half thorax deflections were computed from the chest band data.
The cadaver test data was analyzed using ANOVA and logistic regression. The age of the subject at the time of death had influence on injury outcome while gender and mass of the subject had little or no influence on injury outcome. Existing side impact injury criteria were evaluated such as Thoracic Trauma Index (TTI), Average Spinal Acceleration (ASA), full and half thorax deflections, chest velocity and viscous criterion, and contact force. The analysis results indicate that maximum normalized average half thorax deflection was the best predictor of AIS≥3 and AIS≥4 thoracic injury. TTI and upper spine accelerations were also good predictors of thoracic injury.
Sixteen side impact sled tests were also conducted with the modified ES-2 dummy with rib extensions (ES-2re) under similar impact conditions as the cadaver tests. The rib extensions were added to the original ES-2 dummy ribs to prevent the “seat grabbing” action of the back plate that was noticed in some side impact vehicle crash tests with the ES-2 dummy. A separate analysis was conducted using the injury response and subject characteristics from the cadaver tests and the physical parameters derived from measurements on the ES-2re dummy in sled tests under similar conditions as the cadaver tests. This analysis provided thoracic injury criteria that could be directly applied to the ES-2re dummy. This analysis indicated subject age to have significant influence on injury outcome. Maximum rib deflection and ASA of the ES-2re were the best predictors of thoracic injury. A 50% risk of AIS≥3 thoracic injury for a 45 year old corresponds to 44 mm (standard error range: 32 to 54 mm) of ES-2re maximum rib deflection and ASA of 46 gs (standard error range: 34-58 gs).
- Felicia McKoy - Computer Systems Management Inc.
- Thuvan Nguyen - Computer Systems Management Inc.
- Frank A. Pintar - Medical College of Wisconsin
- Narayan Yoganandan - Medical College of Wisconsin
- Shashi Kuppa - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Rolf H. Eppinger - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
CitationKuppa, S., Eppinger, R., McKoy, F., Nguyen, T. et al., "Development of Side Impact Thoracic Injury Criteria and Their Application to the Modified ES-2 Dummy with Rib Extensions (ES-2re)," SAE Technical Paper 2003-22-0010, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-22-0010.
- Byrnes K. Abamczyk J. Berliner J. Irwin A. Jensen J. Kowsika M. Mertz H. Rouhana S. Scherer R. Shi S. Sutterfield A. Xu L. 2002 ES-2 Dummy Biomechanical Responses Stapp Car Crash Journal 46 353 396
- Backaitis S. Samaha R. 2003 ES-2re Technical Report September 2003
- Cavanaugh J. M. Zhu Y. Huang Y. King A. 1993 Injury and Response of the Thorax in Side Impact Cadaveric Tests Proc. Thirty-Seventh Stapp Car Crash Conference 199 222 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Chung J. Cavanaugh J. King A. Koh S. Deng Y. 1999 Thoracic Injury Mechanisms and Biomechanical Responses in Lateral Velocity Pulse Impact Proc. Forty-Third Stapp Car Crash Conference 39 54 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- EEVC 2001 Development and Evaluation of the ES-2 Dummy WG12 Report August 2001
- Eppinger R. H. Marcus J. Morgan R. 1984 Development of Dummy and Injury Index for NHTSA's Thoracic Side Impact Protection Research Program SAE Paper No. 840885 Government/Industry Meeting and Exposition Washington, D.C Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Gibson T. Fildes B. Deery H. Sparke L. Benetatos E. Fitzharris M. Mclean J. Vulcan P. 2001 Improved Side Impact Protection: A Review of Injury Patterns, Injury Tolerance, and Dummy Measurement Capabilities Report No. 147 Monash University Accident Research Center
- International Standards Organization (ISO) Road Vehicles – Injury Risk Curves to Evaluate Occupant Protection in Side Impact ISO/TR 12350:2002(E)
- JMP®, Version 4 SAS Institute SAS Campus Drive, Cary, NC
- Kallieris D. Mattern R. Schmidt G. Eppinger R. 1981 Quantification of Side Impact Responses and Injuries Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth Stapp Car Crash Conference 329 368 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Kallieris D. Boggasch F. Mattern R. 1994 Protection for the Thorax Injury Severity in the 90-Degree Lateral Collision Paper No. 94-S1-O-02 Proc. Fourteenth ESV Conference Germany National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, D.C.
- Kent R. Bolton J. Crandall J. Prasad P. Nusholtz G. Mertz H. Kallieris D. 2001 Restrained Hybrid III dummy-based criteria for thoracic hard tissue injury prediction International IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact 215 232 IRCOBI Bron, France
- Kuppa S. Eppinger R. Maltese M. Naik R. Pintar F. Yoganandan N. Saul R. McFadden J. 2000 Assessment of Thoracic Injury Criteria for Side Impact International IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact 131 146 IRCOBI Bron, France
- Lau I. Viano D. 1986 The Viscous Criterion – Bases and Applications of an Injury Severity Index for Soft Tissues Proceedings of the Thirtieth Stapp Car Crash Conference 123 142 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Maltese M. Eppinger R. Rhule H. Donnelly B. Pintar F. Yoganandan N. 2002 Response Corridors of Human Surrogates in Lateral Impacts Stapp Car Crash Journal 46 321 352 ERRATUM, Appendix B1: Stapp Car Crash Journal 47 2003
- Morgan R. M. Marcus J. H. Eppinger R. H. 1986 Side Impact – the Biofidelity of NHTSA's Proposed ATD and Efficacy of TTI Proc. Thirtieth Stapp Car Crash Conference 27 40 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Pintar F. Yoganandan N. Sances A. Eppinger R. 1996 Instrumentation of Human Surrogates for Side Impact Proc. Fortieth Stapp Car Crash Conference 29 42 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Pintar F. Yoganandan N. Hines M. Maltese M. McFadden J. Saul R. Eppinger R. Khaewpong N. Kleinberger M. 1997 Chestband Analysis of Human Tolerance to Side Impact Proc. Forty-First Stapp Car Crash Conference 63 74 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Rhule H. Maltese M. Donnelly B. Eppinger R. Brunner J. Bolte J. 2002 Development of a New Biofidelity Ranking System for Anthropomorphic Test Devices Stapp Car Crash Journal 46 477 512
- Samaha R. Maltese M. Bolte J. 2001 Evaluation of the ES-2 Dummy in Representative Side Impacts Seventeenth International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Paper No. 486 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, D.C.
- Samaha R. 2002 ES-2 Crash Test Performance SAE Government Industry Meeting Washington, D.C. April, 2002 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Samaha R. Elliott D. 2003 NHTSA Side Impact Research: Motivation for Upgraded Test Procedures Eighteenth International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Paper No. 492 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, D.C.
- SAS Users' Guide, Version 8 The SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC 1998
- Tarriere C. Walfisch G. Fayon A. Rosey J. Got C Patel A. Delmas A. 1979 Synthesis of Human Tolerances Obtained from Lateral Impact Simulations Seventh International Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 359 373 NHTSA
- Viano D. 1989 Biomechanical Responses and Injuries in Blunt Lateral Impact Proc. Thirty-third Stapp Car Crash Conference 113 142 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Viano D. Fan A. Ueno K. Walilko T. Cavanaugh J. King A. 1995 Biofidelity and Injury Assessment in EuroSID I and Biosid Proc. Thirty-Ninth Stapp Car Crash Conference 307 326 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Wang J. T. 1989 Analytical Studies of Injury Criteria for the Thorax Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 111
- Yoganandan N. et al. 1995 Thoracic Deformation and Velocity Analysis in Frontal Impact Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 117 48 52