This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving the Manufacturing Process of a Constant Velocity Inner Race with the Application of Design of Experiments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 18, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One of the metal-mechanical industry characteristics is to present processes with many steps or operations. It is also known that the product and process quality is a result of the properly adjustment of the operations parameters during the whole production cycle. Nowadays, it is recognized that the quality improvement, when measured as variance of the nominal value (target), is reached more efficiently when the product and process is designed to reduce the variance, and not through usual final inspection. To reduce the variance it is needed to determine optimized operation parameters. When many factors are involved, the optimization becomes a complex task and needs the use of statistical tools. Among the available tools in literature, the Design of Experiments (DOE) is potentially useful in products development stages and in the improvement of existing processes and products. This paper presents a DOE application in a constant velocity inner race manufacturing process, with the aim of reducing the dimensional variance in its spline. It has been done a multi response optimization, considering the settings of five control factor simultaneously to optimize six response variables. The result obtained is an appreciable reduction of the spline dimensional variance, which represents a quality improvement and a cost reduction. Besides, there was a knowledge increase on the constant velocity inner race manufacturing process that can be extended to other components produced with similar process.
- Ginésio Flesch - GKN Driveline Brazil.
- Alberto Schul - GKN Driveline Brazil.
- Fernando Ruschel - GKN Driveline Brazil.
- Getúlio Oliveira - GKN Driveline Brazil.
- Giovane Chies - GKN Driveline Brazil.
- Gilberto H. Junior - GKN Driveline Brazil.
- Ismar Pinheiro - GKN Driveline Brazil.
- Sérgio Pereira - GKN Driveline Brazil.
CitationFlesch, G., Schul, A., Ruschel, F., Oliveira, G. et al., "Improving the Manufacturing Process of a Constant Velocity Inner Race with the Application of Design of Experiments," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3578, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3578.
- MILTON, J.S.;ARNOLD, J.C. Introduction toProbability and Statistics: Principles and Applications for Engineering and the Computing Siences. 3rd Ed. McGraw-Hill, Inc.,1995.
- MONTGOMERY, Douglas C. Design and Analysis of Experiments.5th Ed.:New York.John Wiley,1997.
- MYERS, R.H.; MONTGOMERY, Douglas C. Response Surface Methodology: process and product optimization using designed experiments. New York. John Wiley,1995.
- PIERBURG, Bernd. Gleichlaufgelenkwellen für Personenkraftfarhrzeuge. Die Bibliothek der Technik, Bd 170. Verlang Moderne Industrie, Landsberg,1998.
- RIBEIRO, J.L.D. Projeto de Experimentos na Otimização de Produtos e Processos. Notas de Aula. Porto Alegre: PPGEP/UFRGS,1999.120 p.
- RIBEIRO, J.L.D.;FOGLIATO, Flávio S. and CATEN, Carla S. T. Minimizing Manufacturing and Quality Costs in Multiresponse Optimization. Quality Engineering,13(2), 2000-01.
- ROY, RANJIT K. Design of experiments using the Taguchi approach: 16 steps to product and process improvement. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2001.
- MICROSOFT EXCEL. User's guide. Microsoft Co.,Redmond, WA.
- WHAT'S BEST. User's Manual. Lindo Systems Inc.,Chicago.