This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Approach on Underhood Thermal Management of Passenger Cars and Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 18, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an analytical methodology developed to enhance passenger cars and trucks cooling and underhood thermal management process utilizing CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) technology. Aspects of vehicle frontal openings definition process based on isolated cooling package components airflow requirements are presented as well as the selection and specification of heat exchangers and fans, and the air flux and temperatures distribution management in the engine compartment.
|Technical Paper||Fan Shroud Optimization Using Adjoint Solver|
|Technical Paper||A Simple Fan Model for Underhood Thermal Management Analyses|
|Journal Article||Under-Hood Air Flow Evaluation of Pedestrian-Friendly Front-End Style Using CFD Simulation|
CitationCosta, E., "CFD Approach on Underhood Thermal Management of Passenger Cars and Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3577, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3577.
- Willoughby, D. A. Greiner, C. M. Carroll, G. W. A CFD Method with Cartesian Grids and Complex Geometries Defined by Cell Porosities 1966 International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition November 19 1996
- Caltrider, J. L. et al. Impact of Computer Aided Engineering on Ford Light Truck Cooling Design and Development Processes SAE 931104 March 1993
- Johannessen K. Saunders J. Sheridan J. 2002 Experimental Assessment of CFD Predictions of Fascia Performance SAE Paper 2002-01-0570 Detroit 2002
- Williams, J. Vemaganti, G. 1998 CFD Quality - A Calibration Study for Front-End Cooling Airflow Society of Automotive Engineers SAE 980039 Detroit February 1998
- Andra, R. Kumar, E. H. Sun, R. L. The Effect of Boundary and Geometry Simplification on the Numerical Simulation of Front-End Cooling SAE Paper 980395 Detroit 1998
- Costa, E. A. Pinto, M. G. Cooling and Airflow Management Development for Trucks Considering Pass-by-Noise SAE Paper 2002-01-2226 Paris July 2002
- Willoughby, D. A. UH3D Applications Manual, Ford Advanced Vehicle Technology January 1997
- Greiner, C. M. UH3D Reference Manual, Ford Advanced Vehicle Technology January 1997
- Greiner, C. M. UH3D Utilities Manual, Ford Advanced Vehicle Technology January 1997
- Willoughby, D. A. Vehicle Front End Air Flow, Course Brochure Detroit March 2000