This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Laterally Banked Roadways on the Rollover Threshold of Partially Filled Road Tankers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 10, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, a direct technique to estimate the rollover threshold limits of partially filled tank trucks is applied for banked roadways. Overturning and restoring moments are calculated as functions of tank shape, fill level, gradient of both liquid cargo free surface and the lateral inclination of banked road surfaces.
The static rollover threshold of tanker trucks traveling on laterally banked roadways is estimated by balancing the net value of the total overturning moment against the net value of the restoring moment. Different filling ratios are considered for circular, elliptical and modified tank vehicles. The rollover threshold limits are calculated considering a superelevation range of (0.0-0.1) for the lateral road banking as defined by Blue and Kulakowski (1991). It is shown that the vehicle rollover threshold limit increases with an increase of the angle of the lateral road banking. For example, an average increase in the limit of 23% is achieved as the lateral road banking superelevation is increased to a value of 0.1. Moreover, it is concluded that the presented rollover threshold estimation technique can be used to estimate the average design speed of a partially filled tanker truck as its travels on laterally banked curved roads.
|Technical Paper||A Novel Hybrid Roll Control Strategy for Partially Loaded Tanker Trucks|
|Technical Paper||Vehicle Axle Accelerations Due to Road Roughness for Accelerated Life Testing|
|Technical Paper||A Development of Truck Rear End Underride Protection|
CitationIbrahim, I., Barton, D., and Crolla, D., "Effect of Laterally Banked Roadways on the Rollover Threshold of Partially Filled Road Tankers," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3387, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3387.
Rollover Prevention, Crash Avoidance, Crashworthiness, Ergonomics and Human Factors
Number: SP-1813; Published: 2003-11-10
Number: SP-1813; Published: 2003-11-10
- AutoCAD 2000 ‘A computer aided drafting software Autodesk, Inc. 2000
- Blue, D. W. Kulakowski, B. T. 1991 ‘Effect of horizontal-curve transition design on truck roll stability’ Journal of Transportation Engineering’ 117 1 91 102
- El-Gindy, M. Hosamel-deen, Y. H. 1989 ‘Sensitivity analysis of UMTRI static roll model’ Int. J. of Vehicle Design 10 2 187 209
- Ervin, R. D. 1983 ‘The influence of size and weight variables on the roll stability of heavy duty trucks’ SAE Paper No. 831163
- Ibrahim, I. M. 1999 ‘Anti-slosh damper design for improving the roll dynamic behavior of cylindrical tank trucks’ SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3729
- Liu, P. J. Rakheja, S. Ahmed, A. K. W. 1998 ‘Dynamic rollover threshold of articulated freight vehicles’ Heavy Vehicle Systems, Int. J. of Vehicle Design 5 3 4 300 322
- Math Works 1999 ‘PC MATLAB, high-performance numeric computation and visualisation software
- Rakheja, S. 1991 ‘Estimation of rollover threshold of partially filled tank trucks’ Proceeding of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 205 69 71
- Rakheja, S. Ranganthan, R. 1993 ‘Estimation of the rollover threshold of heavy vehicles carrying liquid cargo: a simplified approach’ Heavy Vehicle Systems, Int. J. of Vehicle Design 1 1 79 98
- Ranganthan, R. Rakheja, S. Sankar, S. 1989 ‘Kineto-static roll plane analysis of articulated tank vehicles with arbitrary tank geometry’ Int. J. of Vehicle Design 10 1 282 303
- Ranganthan, R. 1993 ‘Rollover threshold of partially filled tank vehicles with arbitrary tank geometry’ Proceeding of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 207 241 244
- Sankar, S. Surial, S. 1994 ‘A sensitivity analysis approach for fast estimation of rollover stability of heavy articulated vehicles during steady state turning’ Heavy Vehicle Systems, Int. J. of Vehicle Design 1 3 282 303
- Streeter, V. L. Benjamin, W. E. 1975 ‘Fluid Mechanics McGraw-Hill Book Co. Sixth
- Winkler, C. B. Ervin, R. D. Hagan, M. R. 1999 ‘On-board estimation of the rollover threshold of tractors semitrailers’ Proceedings of the 16th IAVSD Symposium Pretoria, South Africa August 30 September 3 Vehicle System Dynamics Supplement 33 540 551