This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Fuel Injection Conditions on Driving Performance of a DME Diesel Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since dimethyl ether (DME) is a synthetic fuel, it is possible to make it from natural gas, coal and biomass. It is a low-emission, oxygenated fuel, which does not generate soot in the exhaust. Therefore, it has recently been identified as a possible replacement for diesel fuel.
In Japan, the new short-term emissions regulations will be enforced beginning in 2003, and the long-term emissions regulations are scheduled to be enforced in 2005. In order to meet these more stringent emissions regulations, existing diesel engines would not be as widely used in the near future as they currently are. This will thus bring about a more widespread use of DME engines due to their low emissions potential. Moreover, when the modification of existing diesel engines into DME engines is available at a moderate cost, the wider use of DME engines can be expected.
This study targeted development and application of DME engine technology for diesel engine retrofit, in a used diesel vehicle. Thus, the development of a DME diesel vehicle has been achieved while minimizing the modification of the existing diesel vehicle, modifications which were mainly restricted to the fuel supply system.
Experimental results with a vehicle showed that no particulate matter (PM) was emitted, and NOx emissions could be reduced by a catalyst and EGR. This study demonstrated that the short-term regulations can be met with the proposed DME engine system. Also, satisfactory driving performance and trouble-free operation of the vehicle was observed, with stable operation of the fuel supply system on DME fuel. This work demonstrates that when the DME fuel supply infrastructure is in place, DME diesel vehicles can penetrate the market as a low emission vehicle.
- Kouseki Sugiyama - Iwatani International Corporation
- Makihiko Mori - Iwatani International Corporation
- Koichi Kinoshita - National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
- Mitsuharu Oguma - National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
- Shinichi Goto - National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
- Tomoko Watanabe - Japan National Oil Corporation (JNOC)
CitationKinoshita, K., Oguma, M., Goto, S., Sugiyama, K. et al., "Effects of Fuel Injection Conditions on Driving Performance of a DME Diesel Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3193, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3193.
Oxygenated and Alternative Fuels, and Combustion and Flow Diagnostics
Number: SP-1809; Published: 2003-10-31
Number: SP-1809; Published: 2003-10-31
- Oguma Mitsuharu Hyun Gisoo Goto Shinichi Konno Mitsuru Kajitani Shuichi “Atomization Characteristics for Various Ambient Pressures of Dimethyl Ether (DME)” SAE paper 2002-01-1771 2002
- Hyun Gisoo Oguma Mitsuharu Goto Shinichi “Spray and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of a Biodiesel Engine Operating with the Blend of Plant Oil and DME” SAE paper 2002-01-0864 2002
- Oguma Mitsuharu Hyun Gisoo Goto Shinichi Konno Mitsuru Oyama Kazuya “Spectroscopic Investigation of the Combustion Process in DME Compression Ignition Engine” SAE paper 2002-02-2707 2002
- Oguma Mitsuharu Goto Shinichi Hatsuzawa Hidefumi Konno Mitsuru Chen Zhili Watanabe Tomoko “Spectroscopic Analysis of Combustion Flame Fueled with Dimethyl Ether (DME)” SAE paper 2003-01-1797 2003
- Yamada Hiroyuki Sakanashi Hideki Choi Namil Tazaki Atsumu “Simplified Oxidation Mechanism of DME Applicable for Compression Ignition” SAE paper 2003-01-1819 2003
- Sato Susumu Iida Norimasa “Analysis of DME Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion” SAE paper 2003-01-1825 2003
- Konno Mitsuru Chen Zhili Miki Kentaro “Computational and Experimental Study of the Influence of Formaldehyde on HCCI Combustion Fueled with Dimethyl Ether” SAE paper 2003-01-1826 2003
- Sivebaek Ian M. Sorenson Spencer C. “Dimehtyl Ether (DME) - Assessment of Lubricity Using the Medium Frequency Pressurized Reciprocating Rig Version 2 (MFPRR2)” SAE paper 2000-01-2970 2000
- Lacey P. I. Naegeli D. W. De La Cruz J. L. Whalen M. V. “Lubricity of Volatile Fuels for Compression Ignition Engines” SAE paper 2000-01-1804 2000
- Lacey Paul I. Gunsel Selda De La Cruz Jose Whalen Margaret V. “Effects of High Temperature and Pressure on Fuel Lubricated Wear” SAE paper 2001-01-3523 2001
- Sivebaek Ian M. Sorenson Spencer C. Jacobsen Joergen “Dimethyl Ether (DME) - Assessment of Viscosity Using the New Volatile Fuel Viscometer (VFVM)” SAE paper 2001-01-2013 2001
- Hansen Ken Friis Nielsen Leo Hansen John Bogild Mikkelsen Svend -Erik Landalv Henrik Ristola Tommi Vielwerth Kristian “Demonstration of a DME (Dimethyl Ether) Fuelled City Bus” SAE paper 2000-01-2005 2000
- Eirich Jennifer Chapman Elana Glunt Howard Klinikowski David Boehman Amdre L. Hansel James G. Heydorn Edward C. “Development of a Dimethyl Ether (DME) - Fueled Shuttle Bus” SAE paper 2003-01-0756 2003
- Kinoshita Koichi Oguma Mitsuharu Goto Shinichi Sugiyama Kouseki Kajiwara Masataka Mori Makihiko Watanabe Tomoko “Development of Retrofit DME Diesel Engine Operating with Rotary Distributor Fuel Injection Pump” SAE paper 2003-01-0758 2003
- Ofner H. Gill D. Kammerdiener T. “A Fuel Injection System Concept for Dimethyl Ether” IMechE Seminar London 1996 6