This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Design Parameters on the Performance of Finned Exhaust Heat Exchanger
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the results of a DOE (design of experiment) applied to an exhaust heat exchanger to lower the exhaust gas temperature mainly under high load conditions. The heat exchanger was installed between the exhaust manifold and the inlet of the close-coupled catalytic converter (CCC) to avoid thermal aging. The DOE evaluates the influence of the selected eight design parameters of the heat exchanger geometry on the performance of the exhaust gas cooling system, and the interaction between these parameters. To maximize the heat transfer between exhaust gas and coolant, fins were implemented at the inner surface of the heat exchanger. The design parameters consist of the fin geometry (length, thickness, arrangement, number of fin), coolant direction, exchanger wall thickness, and the length of the heat exchanger. The acceptable range of each design parameter is discussed by analyzing the DOE results.
The exhaust heat exchanger successfully decreased the exhaust gas temperature, which eliminated the requirement of fuel enrichment under high load conditions. However, the cooling of the exhaust gas through the heat exchanger may cause the deterioration of exhaust emissions at cold start due to the increment of catalyst light-off time. The light-off time was found to increase by 18 seconds in EC mode test. Hydrocarbon emission was also increased by 0.021g/km though it still meets the Euro-IV regulation. The fuel economy was improved by 7.64% at high speed conditions owing to no fuel enrichment.
CitationLee, S., Bae, C., Jeon, J., and Han, T., "Effect of Design Parameters on the Performance of Finned Exhaust Heat Exchanger," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3076, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3076.
Emissions: Advanced Catalyst and Substrates, Measurement and Testing, Diesel Gaseous Emissions
Number: SP-1801; Published: 2003-10-31
Number: SP-1801; Published: 2003-10-31
- Crane, M. E. Thring, R. H. Podnar, D. J. Dodge, L. G. “Reduced Cold-Start Emissions Using Rapid Exhaust Port Oxidation (REPO) in a Spark Engine” SAE 970264 1997
- Hu, Z. Heck, R. M. “High Temperature Ultra Stable Close-Coupled Catalysts” SAE 950254 1995
- Brisley, R. J. O'Sullivan, R. D. Willkins, A. J. J. “The Effect of High Temperature Ageing on Platinum-Rhodium and Palladium-Rhodium Three Way Catalysts” SAE 910175 1991
- Nagel, T. Maus, W. Breuer, J. “Development of Increased Test Conditions for Close-Coupled Catalyst Applications” SAE 962079 1996
- Lui, Y. K. Dettling, J. C. “Evolution of Pd/Rh TWC Catalyst Technology” SAE 930249 1993
- Heck, R. M. Hu, Z. Smaling, R. Amundsen, A. “Close Coupled Catalyst System Design and ULEV Performance After 1050°C Aging” SAE 952415 1995
- O'Sullivan, R. D. Will, N. S “The Effect of Intermittent Misfire and Air to Fuel Ratio Excursions on Exhaust Catalyst Temperature” SAE 940927 1994
- Lee, S. H. Bae, C. S. Lee, Y. P. Han, T. S. “Effects of engine operating conditions on catalytic converter temperature in an SI engine” SAE 2002-01-1677 2002
- Grandin, B. Angstrom, H.S. “Replacing Fuel Enrichment in a Turbo Charged SI Engine: Lean Burn or Cooled EGR” SAE 1999-01-3505 1999
- Ngy Srun AP “Exhaust Heat Exchange Coefficient in a Pipe of an Internal Combustion Engine: EGR Cooler and Passenger Compartment Heating Applications” SAE 2000-01-0966 2000
- Botros, M.B. Absulnour, B.S. Smith, T.E. Lai, M.C. “Optimum Design Parameters of an Automotive Blower Fan Housing Scroll” SAE 960965 1996
- Kim, J.Y. Corsetti, M.L. Biundo, L. Dobson, D.A. Beason, R.E. “Modeling and Measuring Exhaust Backpressure Resulting form Flow Restriction Through Aftertreatment System” SAE 2003-01-0939 2003
- Kanefsky, P. Nelson, V. Ranger, M. “A Systems Engineering Approach to Engine Cooling Design” SAE 1999-01-3780 1999
- Incropera, F. P. Dewitt, D. P. “Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer - 4 th edition” John Wiley & Sons 1996
- Windmann, J. Braun, J. Zacke, P. Tischer, S. Deutschmann, O. Warnatz, J. “Impact of the Inlet Flow Distribution on the Light-off Behavior of a 3-Way Catalytic Converter” SAE 2003-03-.937 2003
- Sherwin, K. “The effect of Fouling on the Performance of Finned Tube Heat Exchanger” SAE 971806 1997
- Bauer, H. Haldenwanger, H. G. Hirth, P. Bruck, R. “Thermal management of Close Coupled Catalysts” SAE 1999-01-1234 1999
- Waltner, A. Loose, G. Hirschmann, A. Mubmann, L. Lindner, D. Muller, W “Development of Close-Coupled Catalyst Systems for European Driving Conditions” SAE 980663 1998
- Duleep, K. G. Meszler, D. “Emission Control Technology to Comply with FTP Revisions” SAE 961115 1996
- Matsunaga, S. Yokota, K. Hyodo, S. Suzuki, T. Sobukawa, H. “Thermal Deterioration Mechanism of Pt/Rh Three-way Catalysts” SAE 982706 1998