This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of Commuter Category Aircraft Seats Under Crash Loading
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the development of a non-linear finite element model of a commuter category aircraft seat designed to explore the issue of energy absorption in severe, but survivable, crashes. Using a reference seat, the paper presents a description of the model and the results of finite element modeling of the seat at increasingly severe impact velocities. The paper presents the results of a parallel experimental program, conducted to validate the model, in which instrumented crash dummies were drop tested in the reference seat at the same impact velocities as the simulation. Experimental results are reported for passenger lower lumbar loading, peak pelvic acceleration, and seat structural loading.
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Analysis of Crew Seats and Cockpit Interiors|
|Technical Paper||Discussion of Transport Passenger Seat Performance Characteristics|
|Technical Paper||Multidimensional Mathematical Modeling of Occupant Dynamics Under Crash Conditions|
CitationBowen, D. and Gabler, H., "Modeling of Commuter Category Aircraft Seats Under Crash Loading," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3028, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3028.
- Abramowitz, A. Ingraham, P. A. McGuire, R. “Vertical Drop Test of a Shorts 3-30 Airplane” U.S. Department of Transportation, FAA, DOT/FAA/AR-99/87 November 1999
- Abramowitz, A. Smith, T.G. Vu, T. Zvanya, J.R. “Vertical Drop Test of a Narrow-Body Transport Fuselage Section with Overhead Stowage Bins” SAE Paper 2002-01-2995 November 2002
- Chandler, R.F. “Human Injury Criteria Relative to Civil Aircraft Seat and Restraint Systems” SAE Paper 851847 1985
- McGuire, R.J. Nissley, W.J. Newcomb, J.E. “Vertical Drop Test of a Metro III Aircraft” U.S. Department of Transportation, FAA, Report No. DOT/FAA/CT-93/1 June 1993
- McGuire, R. Vu, T. “Vertical Drop Test of a Beechcraft 1900C Airliner” U.S. Department of Transportation, FAA Report No. DOT/FAA/AR-96/119 May 1998