This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Compressing Aviation Data in XML Format
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Design, operations and maintenance activities in aviation involve analysis of variety of aviation data. This data is typically in disparate formats making it difficult to use with different software packages. Use of a self-describing and extensible standard called XML provides a solution to this interoperability problem. While self-describing nature of XML makes it easy to reuse, it also increases the size of data significantly. A natural solution to the problem is to compress the data using suitable algorithm and transfer it in the compressed form. We found that XML-specific compressors such as Xmill and XMLPPM generally outperform traditional compressors. However, optimal use of Xmill requires of discovery of optimal options to use while running Xmill. Manual discovery of optimal setting can require an engineer to experiment for weeks. We have devised an XML compression advisory tool that can analyze sample data files and recommend what compression tool would work the best for this data and what are the optimal settings to be used with a XML compression tool.
CitationPatel, H., Lau, D., and Kulkarni, D., "Compressing Aviation Data in XML Format," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3011, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3011.
- SkySource Login. (n.d.). Retrieved June 23, 2003, http://www.skysource.net.
- Liefke H., Suciu D., “Xmill: an efficient compressor for XML data”, Proceedings of SIGMOD Conference, 2000.
- Federal Aviation Administration site. (n.d.). Retrieved June 23, 2003 http://www2.faa.gov.
- Lempel A., Ziv J., “A Universal Algorithm for Sequential Data Compression”, IEEE Transaction on Information Theory 23, 3 (May): 337-343, 1977.
- Runway Visual Range (RVR). (n.d.). Retrieved June 23, 2003, from http://rvr.fly.faa.gov.
- XML specification. (n.d.). Retrieved June 23, 2003, from http://www.w3.org/XML/.
- Cheney J. Compressing XML with Multiplexed Hierarchical PPM Models. (n.d.). Retrieved June 23, 2003, from http://www.cs.cornell.edu/People/jcheney/papers/cheney-dcc2001.pdf.
- Xmill User Manual site. (n.d.). Retrieved June 23, 2003, from http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/xmill/MANUAL.txt.