This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Distributed Aircraft Analysis Using Web Service Technology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The design modern aircraft requires integration of multidisciplinary models for analysis in early design phase to increase the chances of a successful project. In this paper, a framework for distributed aircraft analysis in the conceptual design including several domains is presented. The framework is based on so-called Web service standards, allowing integration of distributed models for system simulation and optimization using standardized interfaces. The analysis is controlled by a so-called sequencer which manages the interaction between simulation modules and an XML-based design data repository. This repository includes all design data and an executable process description defining the sequence for execution of the modules.
In the paper, the framework with underlying concepts is described. The approach is further illustrated using the design of an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle as an example. This includes the definition of the simulation modules, the process model and definition and execution of an optimization problem.
CitationJohansson, B., Jouannet, C., and Krus, P., "Distributed Aircraft Analysis Using Web Service Technology," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3007, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3007.
- Apache Software Foundation The Apache XML Project http://xml.apache.org
- Box M. J. “A new method of constrained optimization and a comparison with other methods,” Computer Journal 8 42 52 1965
- Box D. et al. “Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) 1.1,” http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP 2000
- De Filippo R. “ACSYNT User's Guide” Northrop Aircraft 1983
- Johansson B. DeLaurentis D. Mavris D. “Managing design data for probabilistic evaluation of aircraft concepts” Proceedings of International Conference on Engineering Design, ICED 03 Stockholm August 19-21, 2003
- Johansson B. Krus P. “A web service approach for model integration in computational design” Proceedings of DETC’03 ASME 2003 Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference Chicago, Illinois USA 2003
- Krus P. “Post optimal system analysis using aggregated design impact matrix” 2000 ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference Baltimore, USA 2000
- Leymann F. Roller D. Schmidt M.-T. “Web services and business process management,” IBM Systems Journal 41 2 2002
- The MIT DSM Research Team “The MIT Design Structure Matrix – DSM” http://web.mit.edu/dsm/
- Pamadi B. N. Performance, Stability, Dynamics, and Control of Airplanes AIAA Education Series ISBN 1-56347-222-8 1998
- Raymer D P “Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach,” AIAA Education Series ISBN 0-930403-51-7 1989
- Rogers J. L. McCulley C.M. Bloebaum C.L. “Optimizing the process flow for complex design projects” Design Optimization: International Journal for Product and Process Improvement 1 3 1999 281 292
- Roskam J. “Airplane Design” Roskam Aviation and Engineering Corporation Kansas 1990
- Ross D.T. “Structured Analysis (SA): A Language for Communicating Ideas,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering SE-3 1 16 34 1977
- Simos D. “Project Interactive Analysis and Optimization-PIANO version 3.8” Lissys Limited 1990-2001
- Steward D. V. “The Design Structure System: A Method for Managing the Design of Complex Systems” IEEE Transaction on Engineering Management 3 August 1981
- Torenbeek E. Synthesis of Subsonic Airplane Design Kluwer Academic Publishers ISBN 90-247-2724-3 1982
- Tsalgatidou A. Pilioura T. “An Overview of Standards and Related Technology in Web Services,” Distributed and Parallel Databases 12 135 162 2002
- WSDL http://www.w3.org/TR/WSDL