This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Materials Selection for Automotive Closure Applications with Respect to Cost and Function
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the past ten year period, due primarily to government mandates for fuel economy improvement, alternate materials have replaced steel on many closure applications at American OEMs (hoods, decklids, and liftgates). But due to recent cost reduction initiatives set by automakers and the advent of newly developed high strength steels, this trend has been challenged by lighter weight, less costly steel alternatives, with near equal or superior performance. This paper, through case studies undertaken at several North American OEM facilities, examines the cost differential, material property options, manufacturing differences, and performance characteristics between the application of aluminum and steel for common hood, lift gate, and deck lid assemblies for both current and future production parts.
CitationMcGuire, J., "Materials Selection for Automotive Closure Applications with Respect to Cost and Function," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2885, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2885.
- Lahaye Chris Bottema Jan De Smet Peter Heyvaert Stephan “Aluminum Alloy Selection for Closures with Respect to Functional Demands” SAE Paper 2000-01-26-96
- Polmean I.J. “Light Alloys - Metallurgy of the Light Metals” Third 0 340 63207 0
- Rawe Stephen Constantini Dominic “A Comparision of Aluminum, Sheet Molding Compound, and Steel for Hoods” SAE Paper 920242
- Ultra Light Steel Automotive Closures, Final Report April 2001
- Lahaye C.T. Koelewijn G. Soderlund J. “Development of an Aluminum Bonnet for SAAB 9-3” Paper 99NM065
- MIT Material Systems Lab “Ecology of the Automobile” www.mit.edu
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology “Cost Analysis for a Hood Assembly”
- American Metal Market July 2003
- DiCello J.A. George R.A. “Design Criteria for the Dent Resistance of Auto Body Panels” SAE Paper 740081
- Patton Richard Brehob Ellen State Matthem Furman Vickie Geck Paul Cummins Michael “Advanced Materials for 21 st Century Trucks” SAE Paper 2000-01-3124
- Prince Douglas Internal U.S. Steel Report 2002