This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Theoretical and Experimental Analysis of Hydropiercing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, hydropiercing after hydroforming and prior to unloading was investigated. The primary purpose of this study was to investigate how the used hydropiercing method and the selected material and process parameters affect the hole quality. Hydropiercing inwards, hydropiercing by folding the ‘scrap’ piece inwards and hydropiercing outwards were tested. The tube material was extruded AA6063-T4. The tube diameter and wall thickness were 107 mm and 2.5 mm respectively. Straight 1110-mm long tubes of this material were first hydroformed at 1300 bar and then hydropierced. Assuming that the largest (in magnitude) acceptable deflection at the hole edge is 0.2 mm, hydropiercing inwards at ≥ 1300 bar yield the best hole quality. However, the remaining scrap piece (in the tube) causes a handling problem that must be solved.
|Technical Paper||Technological Morality and the Automotive Engineer|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Lift Capacity Calculation Method Scrap and Material Handlers|
|Technical Paper||Blending of Post Industrial ABS with PMMA for Automotive Use|
CitationAsnafi, N., Lassl, G., Olsson, B., and Nilsson, T., "Theoretical and Experimental Analysis of Hydropiercing," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2884, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2884.
- Eary D. F. Read E. A. Techniques of Pressworking Sheet Metal - an Engineering Approach to Die Design 2nd Prentice-Hall Englewood Cliffs, N. J., U. S. A. 1974 22 25
- Asnafi N. Analytical modelling of the forces and pressures required in hydropiercing Technical Report, Sapa Technology 2000
- Olsson B. FE-simulation of hole making in hydroforming Technical Report, Sapa Technology Sapa Technology 2002 in Swedish
- Olsson B. FE-simulation of hydropiercing and comparison with tests Technical Report, Sapa Technology 2001
- Olsson B. FE-simulation and tests of hydropiercing with inward folding with different positions of the punch during hydroforming Technical Memo, Sapa Technology 2001
- Asnafi N. Nilsson T. Lassl G. Automotive Tube Bending and Tubular Hydroforming with Extruded Aluminium Profiles Proc. of the International Body Engineering Conference and Exposition (IBEC 2000) Detroit, Michigan, U. S. A. Oct. 3-5 2000
- Asnafi N. Widlund C. Hydropiercing - the influence of material and process parameters on the hole quality Sapa Technology, Technical Report 2001 in Swedish