This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Life Cycle Inventory Study of the UltraLight Steel Auto Body - Advanced Vehicle Concepts Vehicle Product System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A life cycle inventory (LCI) study evaluates the environmental performance of the ULSAB-AVC (UltraLight Steel Auto Body - Advanced Vehicle Concepts) vehicle product system. The LCI quantifies the inputs and outputs of each life cycle stage of the ULSAB-AVC PNGV-gas engine vehicle (998 kg) over the 193,000 km service lifetime of the vehicle. The use phase of the ULSAB-AVC PNGV-diesel engine variant (1031 kg) is also quantified. The data categories measured for each life cycle phase include resource and energy consumption, air and water pollutant emissions, and solid waste production.
The ULSAB-AVC LCI study is based on the methods, model and data from the 1999 study by the United States Automotive Materials Partnership (USAMP), a consortium within the United States Council for Automotive Research. This model was modified to represent the ULSAB-AVC PNGV-gas engine vehicle for each life cycle phase as well as the use phase of the PNGV-diesel engine variant. The modifications included the incorporation of updated steel LCI data from the International Iron and Steel Institute, and the use of EU4 standards (2005) for vehicle emissions. Primary energy consumption for the ULSAB-AVC PNGV-gas engine vehicle was found to be 484 GJ over its entire life cycle.
CitationSmith, V., Keoleian, G., Williams, R., and Chubbs, S., "Life Cycle Inventory Study of the UltraLight Steel Auto Body - Advanced Vehicle Concepts Vehicle Product System," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2838, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2838.
- ULSAB-AVC 2002 ULSAB-AVC (Ultra Light Steel AutoBody - Advanced Vehicle Concepts) January 2002
- Keoleian, Gregory A. Lewis G. Coulon R. Camobreco V. Teulon H. 1998 “LCI Modeling Challenges and Solutions for a Complex Product System: A Mid-sized Automobile.” Proceedings of the Total Life Cycle Conference, SAE/P-98/339, Paper No. 982169 Graz, Austria Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Sullivan, John L. Williams R. Yester S. Cobas-Flores E. Chubbs S. Hentges S. Pomper S. 1998 “Life Cycle Inventory of a Generic U.S. Family Sedan-Overview of Results USCAR AMP Project.” Proceedings of the Total Life Cycle Conference, SAE/P-98/339, Paper No. 982160 Graz, Austria Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- USAMP Ecobalance National Pollution Prevention Center 1999 “Life Cycle Inventory Analysis of a Generic Vehicle.” Dearborn, MI
- Ecobalance Tools for Environmental Analysis and Management 1992 1993
- Porsche Engineering Services, Inc. 2001 ULSAB-AVC Engineering Report ULSAB-AVC, Porsche
- IISI 2002 Worldwide LCI Database for Steel Industry Products IISI
- 1999 Environmental management - Life cycle assessment - Principles and framework Geneva International Organization for Standardization
- 1998 Environmental Management - Life cycle assessment - Goal and scope definition and inventory analysis Geneva International Organization for Standardization