This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on the Cyclic Plastic Zone Size Method, ω*, for Digital Fatigue Life Prediction of Arc-Welded Joints
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Various prediction methods have been proposed for evaluating the fatigue life of welded joints by combining finite element analysis (FEA) with an experimental database. However, to obtain more universal and accurate fatigue life predictions, it is necessary to have criteria for making integrated evaluations of the fatigue strength of welded joints. This paper presents a study that focuses on the local cyclic plastic zone size (ω*) as the criterion of fatigue strength and investigates its validity. The definition of ω* was given by the relationship between the stress state at the notch tip and the elastic strain which was defined along the strain-life fatigue curve (ε - N diagram) of a base metal. As a result of using ω*, it was found that an integrated fatigue life prediction was possible to a certain extent for notch and arc-welded joint specimens. Additionally, it was found that fatigue life prediction could be made to welded joint structures with good accuracy, thereby confirming its validity.
- Tomohiro Hirata - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Toshiaki Nakamaru - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
- Keisuke Toyama - Press Kogyo Co., Ltd.
- Shuichi Magara - Press Kogyo Co., Ltd.
- Hiroshi Watanabe - Nissan Diesel Motor Co., Ltd.
- Etsuo Takeuchi - National Institute for Materials Science
- Tomoyasu Akasaki - Nissan Shatai Co., Ltd.
- Takero Miyatake - Suzuki Motor Co., Ltd.
- Yuichi Onuki - Kanto Auto Works Ltd.
- Koji Koibuchi - Shonan Institute of Technology
CitationHirata, T., Nakamaru, T., Toyama, K., Magara, S. et al., "A Study on the Cyclic Plastic Zone Size Method, ω*, for Digital Fatigue Life Prediction of Arc-Welded Joints," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2835, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2835.
- LMS FALANCS, Theory Manual, Ver. 2.1
- FEMFAT4. 4-Weld User manual, Ver 4.4, 2003
- Kasahara, T.; Maruo, Y.; Nakamaru, T.; Magara, S.; Koibuchi, K.: Method of Fatigue Life Estimation for Arc-Welded Structures. SAE Paper 2000-01-0781, 2000
- Koibuchi, K.; To, K.; Iida, M.;Hosomi, T.: Fatigue strength assessment at weld toes and defects of structures based on cyclic plastic zone size. Enginnering Against Fatigue. (1997) CHAPTER 40: 377-379.
- New Proposal for Evaluation of Fatigue Durability of Automotive Body Structures. JSAE Symposium No. 06-00, 2000(in Japanese)