This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Pedestrian Protection Analyzing Technologies and Its Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper introduces a development of pedestrian protection analyzing technologies and its practical application to an actual automobile. The analyzing technologies have two types, an analyzing tool for initial design stage utilizing Microsoft Excel and a crash analyzing software MADYMO, and a large scale FEM (Finite Element Method) utilizing a crash analyzing software PAM-CRASH. These technologies were applied to an actual car development to study the efficient structure. In this paper, a development of a bumper structure with high leg protection performance is reported. The developed bumper was tested and evaluated on an actual vehicle and was proven to have high leg protection performance. The leg protection analyzing technology could estimate the leg injury of a actual vehicle test within 10% prediction error.
CitationSuganuma, H., Kawamura, E., and Nagasawa, H., "Development of Pedestrian Protection Analyzing Technologies and Its Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2807, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2807.
- IRTAD “International Road Traffic and Accident Database 2000
- EURONCAP “EURO-NCAP's Pedestrian Impact Tests,” http://www.euroncap.com
- Padraig, N. “An Approach to Front-End System Design for Pedestrian Safety,” SAE paper 2001
- Nobuhiro, I. “Computational Simulation for Head Impact on Vehicle Hoods Using the Precise Fineite Element Model,” 18th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 2003
- Noboru, T. “Pedestrian Protection Policy for New LEGACY,” SUBARU TECHNICAL REVIEW 2003
- MADYMO users manual
- PMA-CRASH users manual
- DesignDirector manual
- Chou, C.C. “Analytical Studies of the Head Injury Criterion (HIC),” SAE paper
- Hiroshi, N. “Development of Simplified Analyzing Tool for the Head Protection Performance of Vehicle Bodies” JSAE conference 2003
- Atsuhiro, K. “Development of Computer Simulation Models for Pedestrian Test Procedure,” JARI Research Journal 19 9 1997
- Hiroshi, S. “Development of upper legform impactor model for pedestrian protection,” PAM users conference in Asia 2002
- Takeshi, Y. “Multi Objective Optimization of Reinforced Members for Crash Safety Design of Automobiles,” JSAE conference 1999
- Yong. H. H. “Optimization of Bumper Structure for Pedestrian Lower Leg Impact,” SAE paper 2002
- Qiang, YU. “Approach to Nonlinear Optimum Design of Vehicles by Statistical Design Support System,” JSAE conference 1999