This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advisable Grades of High-Strength Steel Sheets and Welding Conditions for Spot-Weld Strength in Automotive Body Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Experimental study on static strength of spot-welds for high-strength steel sheets is summarized, focusing on thicker and coated sheets. Tensile shear strength (TSS) increases with sheet strength and thickness. Cross tensile strength (CTS) also increases, but the variation with sheet strength is small. Welding with expulsion deteriorates CTS, especially for thicker or coated sheets with higher strength or carbon content. Blow-holes and shrinkage cavities are found frequently at thicker sheet welds, and their existence near nugget edge reduces CTS. Above-mentioned knowledge leads developments of galvannealed sheets with carbon content less than 0.1 % for tensile strength up to 980MPa.
|Technical Paper||Strength of Arc Spot Welded Joints in a High Strength Steel Sheet|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Steel, Corrosion Resistant, Seamless or Welded Hydraulic Tubing 19Cr - 10Ni (304) Solution Heat Treated|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Steel, Welding Wire 0.95Cr - 0.20Mo (0.28 - 0.33C) (SAE 4130) Vacuum Melted, Environment Controlled Packaging|
CitationSakuma, Y., Hiwatashi, S., and Oikawa, H., "Advisable Grades of High-Strength Steel Sheets and Welding Conditions for Spot-Weld Strength in Automotive Body Application," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2774, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2774.
- Takagi K. 4th European Car Body Conference 2002
- Heuschkel J. Welding J. 31 10 931s 1952
- Nose J. et al Resistance Welding Research Committee 1975
- Sawhill J.M. Baker J.C. Welding J. 59 1 19s 1980
- Yamazaki K. et al Quarterly Journal of the Japan Welding Society 17 4 553 1999
- Fujimoto H. et al Proc. JSAE, No. 20025623 2002
- Nakata Resistance Welding Research Committee JWS 1982
- Sakuma Y. el al JSAE Review 23 1 142 2002
- Takahashi Y. et al Resistance Welding Research Committee 1975
- Takahashi Y. Welding Technique 25 3 1977 24
- Kondoh M. et al J. of the Japan Welding Society 55 2 97 1986
- Tanaka Y. et al Tetsu-to-Hagane 68 9 1437 1982