This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multibody Modelisation Of A Go-Kart With Flexible-Elements Frame: Simulation Of The Dynamic Behaviour And Experimental Validation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The flexibility of a veichle's body is one of the features which greatly affect the dynamic performance, making its character more comfortable or sportive depending strongly on its torsional stiffness. From the above viewpoint, the main feature of go-karts lies in the lack of shock absorbers and vibration damping systems, this role being entirely played by the tires and the body which is a frame of welded metallic beams.
In this work has been performed the multi body analysis of a kart from the Italian production using the ADAMS software, which allows to reproduce the elastic features of the kart's frame by way of flexible bodies.
Two series of experimental tests were performed, respectively consisting of the static application of a torsion moment on the frame in order to determine its stiffness, and of the execution of circular trajectories made at different combinations of constant speed and constant steering wheel angle. These tests allowed to validate the static and the dynamic response of the multibody flexible model by way of analyses which simulated both the series of experimental tests performed.
Interesting considerations derived from the analysis of the numerical results, suggesting the possibility of extend the analysis method to the tuning of go-karts for each specific race condition.
CitationMirone, G., "Multibody Modelisation Of A Go-Kart With Flexible-Elements Frame: Simulation Of The Dynamic Behaviour And Experimental Validation," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2764, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2764.
- Franceschini G. Guglielmino E. La Rosa G. Risitano A. “Analisi del comportamento sotto carico di una monoscocca per autovetture da competizione” Convegno in onore di Antongiulio Dornig Milano 1990
- Barberis U. Franceschini G. Guglielmino E. La Rosa G. Risitano A. “Calibration of a Numerical Model for the Analysis of a Composite Material Racing-Car Body” 3rd International Conference on Innovation and Reliability in Automotive Design and Testing Firenze 1992
- Genta G. “Meccanica dell'autoveicolo” Levrotto & Bella Torino 1993
- Guglielmino E. La Rosa G. Manetto G. Moruzzi P. “Numerical Analysis of the Dynamic Behaviour of a Composite Material Racing-Car Body under Road Loading Condition” 4th International Conference on New Design Frontiers for More Efficent, Reliable and Ecological Vehicles Firenze 1994
- Cianetti F. Di Pietro G. Guglielmino E. La Rosa G. “Structural Optimization of a Composite Material Racing-Car Body” 4th International Conference on New Design Frontiers for More Efficent, Reliable and Ecological Vehicles Firenze 1994
- ADAMS 9.2 User Manual