This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cascaded Distillation Technology for Water Processing in Space
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 07, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The cascaded distiller CD5 is a 5-stage, rotary vacuum distiller developed jointly by Honeywell International (USA) and Thermodistillation Co. (Kiev, Ukraine) for processing of human urine and other streams of waste water onboard a spacecraft during long-duration missions. Initial performance testing of the first model of the distiller CD5-1 was conducted at the Thermodistillation laboratory in Kiev in 1999. Results of testing demonstrated superior performance of the machine, but also indicated that performance could be improved.
This paper reports on performance of the next generation of the distiller, CD5-2, which is an improved model of the cascaded distiller CD5-1.
CitationRifert, V., Usenko, V., Zolotukhin, I., Lubman, A. et al., "Cascaded Distillation Technology for Water Processing in Space," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2625, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2625.
- Rifert, V.G. Barabash P.A. Goliyad N.N. “Methods and Processes of Thermal Distillation of Water Solution for Closet Water Supply Systems” SAE Paper 901294 20th International Conference on Environmental Systems Williamsburg July 1990
- Rifert, V. Usenko V. Zolotukhin I. MacKnight A. Lubman A. “Comparison of Secondary Water Processors Using Distillation For Space Applications” SAE Paper 1999-01-1991 29th International Conference on Environmental Systems Denver July 1999
- Samsonov, N.M. Bobe L. S. Novikov V. M. Farafonov N. S. Pinsky B. Ja. Rakov V. V. Margulis V. I. Rifert V. G. Grigoriev Ju. I. Komolov V. V. Protasov N. N. “Development and Testing of a Vacuum Distillation Subsystem for Water Reclamation from Urine” SAE Paper 1999-01-1993 29th International Conference on Environmental Systems Denver July 1999
- Lubman, A. MacKnight A. Reddig V. Bobe L. S. Pinsky B. Y. Rakov V. V. Edeen M. “Performence Evaluation of a Three-Stage Vacuum Rotary Distillation Processor” SAE Paper 2000-01-2386 30th International Conference on Environmental Systems and 7th European Symposium on Space Environmental Control Systems Toulouse, France July 2000
- Rifert, V. Usenko V. Zolotukhin I. MacKnight A. Lubman A. “Design Optimisation of Cascade Rotary Distiller with the Heat Pump for Water Reclamation from Urine” SAE Paper 2001-01-2248 31st International Conference on Environmental Systems Orlando July 2001
- Rifert, V. G. Usenko V. I. Zolotukhin I. V. Anatychuk L. I. MacKnight A. Lubman A. “Development and Test Cascade Centrifugal Distiller for Regeneration of Water from Urine” Industrial Heat Engineering, International Scientific and Applied Journal National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine 23 4-5 2001