This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biomass Production System Hardware Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 07, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Biomass Production System, recently flown on the ISS for 73 days, demonstrated significant advancements in functional performance over previous systems for conducting plant science in microgravity. The Biomass Production System (BPS) was the first flight of a system with multiple, independently controlled, plant growth chambers. Each of four chambers was controlled separately with respect to temperature, humidity, light level, nutrient level, and CO2, and all were housed in a double Middeck locker-sized payload. During the mission, each of the subsystems performed within specification. This paper focuses on how the performance of the BPS hardware allowed successful completion of the preflight objectives.
CitationIverson, J., Crabb, T., Morrow, R., and Lee, M., "Biomass Production System Hardware Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2484, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2484.
- Morrow, R.C., Frank, J.G. Stolp K.M. Lee. M.C. 2002 Biomass Production System (BPS) Ground Based Performance Testing SAE Technical Paper Series 2002-01-2482
- Morrow, R.C., Crabb, T.M. Iverson J.T. Frank. J.G. 2001 Science accommodations in the Biomass Production System SAE Technical Paper Series 2001-01-2231
- Morrow, R.C. Crabb. T.M. 1999 Biomass production system (BPS) environmental control subsystem performance SAE Technical Paper Series 1999-01-2180
- Stutte, G.W. Monje, O. goins, G.D. Chapman. D.K. 2000 Measurement of Gas Exchange Characteristics of Developing Wheat in the Biomass Production System. ICES Technical paper 2000-01-424
- Stutte, G.W. Monje, O. Goins, G.D. Ruffe. L.M. 2001 Evapotranspiration and Photosynthesis Characteristics of Two Wheat Cultivars Measured in the Biomass Production Chamber. ICES Technical Paper 2001-01-2180
- Stutte, G.W. Monje, O. Goins, G.D. Chapman. D.K. 2002 Microgravity Effects on Wheat Growth and Photosynthesis: Preliminary Results from the PESTO experiment. Grav. Space Biol. Bulletin. 16 1 58
- Sager, J. C. McFarlane. J. C. 1997 Radiation. Langhans R. W. Tibbitts T. W. Plant Growth Chamber Handbook. Special Report 99. Iowa State University Press. 7
- Morrow, R.C., Stolp, K.M. Lee. M.C. 2002 Initial assessment of on-orbit plant development using the BPS imaging system. Gravitational and Space Biology Bulletin 16 48 abstract