This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Flexible Thermal Control Device with High-Thermal-Conductivity Graphite Sheets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 07, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a new passive thermal control device-a Reversible Thermal Panel (RTP)-which changes its function reversibly from a radiator to a solar absorber by deploying/stowing the radiator/absorber reversible fin. The RTP consists of Highly Oriented Graphite Sheets (HOGSs), which have characteristics of high thermal conductivity, flexibility and light weight, as thermal transport units, which can transport the heat from equipment to reversible fin, and of a Shape - Memory Alloy (SMA) as a passively rotary actuator to deploy/stow the reversible fin. The RTP prototype model was designed and fabricated using HOGSs, a honeycomb base palate, and a prototype reversible rotary actuator. The heat rejection performance of the RTP as a radiator and the heat absorption performance as an absorber were evaluated by thermal vacuum tests and thermal analyses. The autonomous thermal controllability achieved using the prototype rotary actuator was also evaluated. The test results showed that RTP gave an excellent performance as a passive radiator from the standpoints of heat rejection capability, specific heat rejection, and variation of the radiator fin efficiency. The effectiveness of the RTP as a solar absorber that can be substituted for a survival heater was also confirmed. The necessity of reinvestigating the thermal conductance between the equipment simulator plate and the rotary actuator housing, and of designing a reversible rotary actuator using a shape-memory alloy to achieve higher deployment torque, were revealed.
CitationNagano, H., Nagasaka, Y., and Ohnishi, A., "Development of a Flexible Thermal Control Device with High-Thermal-Conductivity Graphite Sheets," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2471, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2471.
- Nagano H. Ohnishi A. Nagasaka Y. “Thermophysical Properties of High-Thermal-Conductivity Graphite Sheets for Spacecraft Thermal Design,” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer 15 3 2001 347 353
- Nagano H. Kato H. Ohnishi A. Nagasaka Y. “Measurement of Thermal Diffusivity of Anisotropy Graphite Sheet using AC Calorimetric Method,” International Journal of Thermophysics 22 1 2001 301 312
- Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Shimakawa Y. Ochi A. Okamoto A. Nakamura Y. “Development of a Variable Emittance Radiator Based on a Perovskite Manganese Oxide” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer 17 2 2003 264 268
- Osiander R. Champion J. L. Darrin A. M. Sniegowski J. J. Rodgers S. M. Douglas D. Swanson T. D. “Micromachined louver arrays for spacecraft thermal control radiators” 39th AIAA, Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit Paper No. AIAA 2001-0215 2001
- Braig A. Meisel T. Schwarzott W. “Electro Emissive Devices - A New Thermal Control Component” 22nd ICES Conference SAE Technical Paper 92-1201 1992