This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multi-Purpose Mechanical/Capillary Hybrid Pump Loop
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 07, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A novel type of two-phase loop is introduced which can work in any of mechanical, capillary, or mechanical/capillary hybrid modes and would allow us to make various experiments in parallel. A key component of that loop is a three-port (liquid in, liquid out, and vapor out) capillary pump evaporator coupled with mechanical pumps. An illustration of the proposed hybrid pump loop is given with a brief description of such critical components as the above. A mathematically formulated computational analysis procedure is then presented for the preliminary design of that loop. The procedure consists of a series of theoretically derived algebraic expressions; upon which all the related components are suitably sized in diameter, thickness, length, or volume. Obtained numerical results of a parametric design study are graphically shown in the figures as a function of the baseplate temperature or the heat load.
CitationFurukawa, M., "Multi-Purpose Mechanical/Capillary Hybrid Pump Loop," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2388, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2388.
- Baumann, J. Cullimore, B. Egan, C Development of a Rugged Hybrid Two-Phase Transport Loop AIAA-92-2866 27th Thermophysics Conf. Nashville, TN July 1992
- ku, J. kroliczek, E.J. McCabe M.E. Jr. Benner, S.M. A High Power Spacecraft Thermal Management Sytem AIAA-88-2702 23rd Thermophysics Conf. San Antonio, TX June 1988
- Ku, J. Kroliczek, E.J. The Hybrid Capillary Pumped Loop SAE 881083 18th ICES San Francisco, CA June 1988
- Ku, J. Kroliczek, E.J. McCabe, M.E. Jr. An Improved High Power Hybrid Capillary Pumed Loop SAE 891566 19th ICES San Diego, CA June 1989
- Schweickart, R. Ottenstein, L. Cullimore, B. Egan, C. Wolf, D. Testing of a Controller for a Hybrid Capillary Pumped Loop Thermal Control System No.899476 24th IECEC Washington, DC Aug. 1989 69 74
- Mueller, R. Application of Capillary Structures for Thermal Control in Space Vehicles AIAA-89-1724 24th Thermophysics Conf. Buffalo, NY June 1989
- Furukawa, M. Mimura, K. Komori, M. Demonstrative In-Orbit Operations of a Pressur-Regulated Two-Phase Fluid Loop Model AIAA-98-2451 7th AIAA/ASME Joint Thermophysics and Heat Transfer Conf. Albuquerque, NM, June 1998
- Feingold, H. Carrington, C Evaluation and Comparison of Space Solar Power Concepts IAC-02-R.1.08 53rd IAC and WSC 2002 Houston, TX, Oct 2002
- Carrington, C. Feingold, H. Space Solar Power Concepts: Demonstrations to Pilot Plants IAC-02-R.P.12 53rd IAC and WSC 2002 Houston, TX, Oct 2002
- Ohta, H. Baba, A. Microgravity Experiments on Boiling Heat Transfer and Two-Phase Flow SI-WSTC-01FY001 International Workshop on Advanced Space Missions and Related Thermal Technology Tokyo, Japan, Nov 2001 53 73
- Benner, S. Costello, F. Ku, J. SIN-FAC Simulation of a High-Power Hybrid CPL AIAA-89-0316 27th Aerospace Sciences Meeting Reno, NV, Jan 1989
- Birur, G.C. O’Donnell, T.P. Advanced Thermal Control Technologies for Space Science Missions at Jet Propulsion Laboratory AIP Conf. Proc.552 STAIF 2001 Albuquerque, NM, Feb. 2001 263 270
- Delil, A.A.M. Woering, A.A. Verlaat, B. Development of a Mechanically Pumped Two-Phase C02 Cooling Loop for the AMS-2 Tracker Experiment 2002-012465 32nd ICES San Antonio, TX, July 2002
- Garimella, S. Killion, J.D. Coleman, J.W. An Experimentally Validated Model for Two-Phase Pressure Drop in the Intermittent Flow Regime for Circular Mi-crochannels ASME J.Fluids Engineering 124 2 Mar 2002 205 214
- Webb, R.L. Zhang, M. Heat Transfer and Friction in Small Diameter Channels Microscale Thermophysical Engineering 2 No.3 1998 189 202
- Peng, X.F. Wang, B.X. Liquid Flow and Hear Transfer in Microchannels with/without Phase Change SK-11, 10th Int. Heat Transfer Conf. Brighton, UK 1994 1 159 177
- Jiang, P.X. Fan, M.H. Ren, Z.P. Experimental Investigation of Micro Heat Exchangers Using Porous Media or Microchannels AJTE99-6163 5th ASME/JSME Joint Thermal Engineering Conf. San Diego, CA Mar. 1999