This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Study of a Cockpit with a Fixed Steering Wheel Position: Methods and Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 17, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An ergonomics study was conducted in a mock-up with a fixed steering wheel position. Drivers adjusted the seat and pedals to a comfortable position. A three-dimensional coordinate measurement machine (CMM) was used to measure the comfortable position of 21 participants. Proven test methods were used to collect the posture data. A model is described to assist in seat and pedal placement for cockpit design.
CitationWay, M., Berndt, N., and Jawad, B., "The Study of a Cockpit with a Fixed Steering Wheel Position: Methods and Model," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2180, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2180.
- Andrzejak D., Baron K., Roegner J., (1994). Anthropometry of Indy Car Drivers, Technical Paper #942547. PA: Society of Automotive Engineers.
- Gordon C., Churchill T., Clauser C., Bradtmiller B., McConville J., Tebbetts I., Walker R., (1989). 1988 Anthropometric Survey of U. S. Army Personnel: Methods and Summary Statistics Final Report, Technical Report # NATICK/TR-89/027. MA: U. S. Army Natick Research, Development, and Engineering Center.
- Reed M., Manary M., Schneider L., (1999). Methods for Measuring and Representing Automobile Occupant Posture, Technical Paper #1999-01-0959. PA: Society of Automotive Engineers.
- Mariotti E., Jawad B., (2000). Formula SAE Race Car Cockpit Design: An Ergonomics Study for the Cockpit, Technical Paper # 2000-01-3091. PA: Society of Automotive Engineers.
- Abraham S., Johnson C. L., and Najjar F., (1979). Weight and Height of Adults 18 –74 Years of Age, Vital and Health Statistics, Series 11, Number 208. MD: U. S. Department of Health Education and Welfare.
- Robbins D. H., (1983). Anthropometry of Motor Vehicle Occupants – Specifications Drawings (Small female side-view, Small female top-view, Small female front-view, Large male side-view, Large male top-view, Large male front-view), Contract # DTNH22-80-C-07502. DC: U. S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.