This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Ice Accretion on Airfoils during Flight
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 16, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, a computational method is presented that computes ice accretion on airfoils in specified icing conditions. A good agreement is found with the ice shapes predicted by other computational methods. Agreement with the experimental ice shapes is fair. Also, the implementation and application of a mathematical model of a thermal anti-icing system in the ice accretion simulation code 2DFOIL-ICE is presented. The numerical code has proved to be able to calculate the main parameters of an airfoil anti-icing system, such as: solid surface temperatures (for the wetted region), runback water flow and convection heat transfer coefficient distributions along the external surface.
CitationDillingh, J. and Hoeijmakers, H., "Simulation of Ice Accretion on Airfoils during Flight," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2137, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2137.
- Snellen M. Boelens O.J. Hoeijmakers H.W.M. “A Computational Method for Numerically Simulating Ice Accretion” AIAA Paper 97-2206 Jan. 1997
- Snellen M. “Ice Accretion during Flight”, Memorandum M-749, Department of Aerospace Engineering” Delft University of Technology Delft, The Netherlands 1996
- Messinger B.L. “Equilibrium Temperature of an Unheated Icing Surface as a Function of Air Speed” J. of Aeron. Sciences 20 1 Jan. 1953
- Vukits T.J. “Overview and Risk Assessment of Icing for Transport Category Aircraft and Components” AIAA Paper 2002-0811 Jan. 2002
- de Jong H. “Development of a Numerical Method for the Air Flow over a Thin Layer of Liquid” MSc. Thesis Department of Aerospace Engineering, Delft University of Technology Delft, The Netherlands 1995
- Frössling N. “Evaporation, Heat Transfer and Velocity Distribution in Two-Dimensional and Rotationally Symmetrical Laminar Boundary-Layer Flow” Technical Memorandum 1432 NACA 1958
- Al-Khalil K.M. Horvath C. Miller D.R. Wright W.B. “Validation of NASA Thermal Ice Protection Computer Codes: Part III-The Validation of ANTICE” AIAA Paper 97-0051 Jan. 1997
- da Silva G.A.L. Silvares O.M. Zerbini E.J.G.J. “Airfoil Anti-Icing System Modeling and Simulation” AIAA Paper 2003-734 Jan. 2003
- Morency F. Tezok F. Paraschivoiu I. “Anti-Icing System Simulation Using CANICE” Journal of Aircraft 36 6 1999
- Morency F. Tezok F. Paraschivoiu I. “Heat and Mass Transfer in the Case of an Anti-Icing System Modelisation” AIAA Paper 99-0623 Jan. 1999