This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Refining Process in Biodiesel Fuel Production on Fuel Properties, Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes two topics. One is a study of the effects of refining process of biodiesel fuel on fuel properties, diesel engine performance and exhaust emissions. The second topic is a study to clarify the influences of plant oil sources for biodiesel production on combustion and emission characteristics. Plant oils or used cooking oils are reacted with methanol and a lye catalyst: KOH, to produce fatty acid methyl ester: unwashed-biodiesel. Washing the unwashed-biodiesel by water and dying processes are necessary in order to improve its fuel properties. Experiments were carried out on a single-cylinder, 4-stroke-cycle, DI diesel engine and various unwashed-, washed- and refined-biodiesel fuels derived from new or used cooking oil. From the result, it was found that the unwashed-biodiesel occurred unstable engine operation. And there was few difference in engine performance and emissions between biodiesel fuel from new and used cooking oil at same plant oil source.
CitationYamane, K., Kato, T., Okutani, H., and Shimamoto, Y., "Effect of Refining Process in Biodiesel Fuel Production on Fuel Properties, Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1930, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1930.
- Chang, DYZ., Van Gerpen, J.H., Lee I, Johnson, L.A., Hammond, E.G., Marley S.J., Fuel Properties and Emissions of Soybean Oil Esters as Diesel Fuel, JAOCS, 73(11), pp.1549-1555, (1966)
- Geye,r M.S., Jacobus, M.J., Lestz, S.S., Comparison of Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions from Neat and Transesterified Vegetable Oils, Trans. of the ASAE, 27(2), pp.375-381, (1984)
- Alfuso, S., Auriemma, M., Police, G., Prati, M.V., The Effect of Methyl Ester of Rapeseed Oil on Combustion and Emissions of DI Diesel Engine, SAE Paper 932801,(1993)
- Yamane, K., Ueta, A., Shimamoto, Y., Influence of Physical and Chemical Properties of Biodiesel Fuel on Injection, Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics in a Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine, Int. J. of Engine Research, Vol.2, No.4, pp.249-261, (2001)
- Karaosmanoglu, F., Ciginoglu, K.B., Tuter, M., Ertekin, S., Investigation of the Refining Step of Biodiesel Production, Energy & Fuels, 10, pp.890-895, (1996)
- Yamane, K., Chikahisa, T., Murayama, T., Miyamoto, N., Measurement of Particulate and Unburnt Hydrocarbon Emissions from Diesel Engines, SAE Paper 880343, (1988)