This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Fuel Properties on the Stratified-Charge Combustion of Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine with EGR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this study is to clarify the effects of fuel properties on the stratified-charge combustion of direct-injection gasoline engine with EGR. A single-cylinder direct-injection gasoline engine, based on a Toyota D-4 engine, was used. First, the effects of EGR on the stratified-charge combustion of direct-injection gasoline engine were investigated under various conditions. As a result, 20% EGR can drastically reduce NOx emission without reducing the IMEP under the stratified-charge combustion. Next, paraffin, olefin, naphthene and ether having a boiling point of approximately 50 °C and paraffin, olefin and aromatic compounds having a boiling point of approximately 100°C were used for fuel to investigate the effects of fuel properties on the stratified-charge combustion of a direct-injection gasoline engine with EGR. As a result, the effects of fuel properties on the stratified-charge combustion of direct-injection gasoline engine were maintained by the use of EGR. Paraffins and olefins having a lower boiling point had a higher IMEP under the stratified-charge combustion with EGR.
CitationHashimoto, K., Kagi, Y., Arai, M., and Tamura, M., "Effects of Fuel Properties on the Stratified-Charge Combustion of Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine with EGR," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1867, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1867.
- Zhao, F., Lai, M. and Harrington, D. L., “A Review of Mixture Preparation and Combustion Control Strategies for Spark-Ignited Direct injection Gasoline Engines”, SAE Paper, 970627 (1997) and references cited therein.
- Kume, T., Iwamoto, Y., Iida, K., Murakami, M., Akishino, K. and Ando, H., “Combustion Control Technologies for Direct Injection SI Engine”, SAE Paper, 960600 (1996)
- Iwamoto, Y., Noma, K., Yamauchi, T. and Nakayama, O., “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine”, SAE Paper, 970541 (1997)
- Harada, J., Tomita, T., Mizuno, H., Mashiki, Z. and Ito, Y., “Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine”, SAE Paper, 970540 (1997)
- Jackson, N.S., Stokes, J., Whitaker, P.A. and Lake, T.H., “Stratified and Homogeneous Charge Operation for the Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - High Power with Low Fuel Consumption and Emission”, SAE Paper, 970543 (1997)
- Wirth, M., Piock, W.F., Fraidl, G.K., Schoeggl, P. and Winkhofer, E., “Gasoline DI Engines: The Complete System Approach by Interaction of Advanced Development Tools”, SAE Paper, 980492(1998)
- Preussner, C., Döring, C., Fehler, S. and Kampmann, S., “GDI: Interaction Between Mixture Preparation, Combustion System and Injector Performance”, SAE Paper, 980498 (1998)
- Tatsuta, H., Matsumura, M., Yajima, J. and Nishide, H., “Mixture Formation and Combustion Performance in a New Direct-Injection SI V-6 Engine”, SAE Paper, 981435 (1998)
- Brehob, D.D., Fleming, J., Haghgooie, M. and Stein, R.A., “Stratified-Charge Engine Fuel Economy and Emission Characteristics”, SAE Paper, 982704 (1998)
- Geiger, J., Grigo, M., Lang, O. and Wolters, P., “Direct Injection Gasoline Engines - Combustion and Design”, SAE Paper, 1999-01-0170 (1999)
- Glaspie, C.R., Jaye, J.R., Lawrence, T.G., Lounsberry, T.H., Mann, L.B., Opra, J.J., Roth, D.B. and Zhao, F.Q., “Application of Design and Development Techniques For Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engines”, SAE Paper, 1999-01-0506 (1999)
- Koike, M., Suzuoki, T., Nomura, Y., Saito, A., Tomoda, T. and Hokutou, H., “Influence of Fuel Vaporization on Mixture Preparation of a DI Gasoline Engine”, JSAE, 9832378 (1998) (in Japanese)
- Sandquist, H., Denbratt, I., Ingemarsson, A. and Olsson, J., “Influence of Fuel Volatility on Emissions and Combustion in a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine”, SAE Paper, 982701 (1998)
- Fukui, H., Komoriya, H. and Shimizu, T., “The Effect of Octane Number on Stratified-charge Combustion of Direct Injection Stratified Charge Engine”, JSAE, 9934186 (1999) (in Japanese)
- Hashimoto, K., Inaba, O. and Akasaka, Y., “Effects of Fuel Properties on the Combustion and Emission of Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine”, SAE Paper, 2000-01-0253 (2000)
- Hashimoto, K., Taniguchi, M., Arai, M. and Tamura, M., “Effects of Fuel Properties on the Mixture Formation under the Stratified-Charge Combustion Condition of Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine”, SAE Paper, 2001-01-3590 (2001)