This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Port Fuel Injection and Combustion Simulation of a Racing Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The short time available for injection and mixing in high-speed engines requires an accurate modeling of the fuel related processes to obtain a valuable in-cylinder charge description, and then a good combustion performance prediction.
An advanced version of the KMB code of IFP has been used to compute a racing engine. It includes a fitted on experiments spray model, a comprehensive wall-film model, the AKTIM ignition and ECFM combustion models. A major difficulty was the necessity to compute numerous cycles before reaching a cycle-independent solution. A procedure has been defined to minimize calculation time. Another difficulty was the high concentration of liquid in some zones, which requested a careful meshing.
Effects such as the influence of the strong acoustic waves on the spray dynamic, the wall wetting effects on the engine time response, injector position on fuel distribution in the cylinder, charge homogeneity on the combustion process have been investigated. The obtained trends are discussed qualitatively.
CitationHenriot, S., Bouyssounnouse, D., and Baritaud, T., "Port Fuel Injection and Combustion Simulation of a Racing Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1845, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1845.
SAE 2003 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V112-4; Published: 2004-09-15
Number: V112-4; Published: 2004-09-15
- Bianchi G-M. Cantore G. Mattarelli E. Guerini G. Papetti F. “The influence of Stroke-to-Bore ratio and Combustion Chamber Design on Formula One Engines Performance” SAE 980126 1998
- Bianchi G. M. Cantore G. Nicolini D. Sassi L. Fraboni L. “Numerical analysis of the influence of the Stroke-to-Bore Ratio on Tumble Breakdown” ICE conference SI engines 1999
- Cantore G. Fontanesi S. Mattarelli E. Bianchi G. M. “A Methodology for In-Cylinder Flow Field Evaluation in a Low Stroke-to-Bore SI Engine” SAE 2002-01-1119
- Henriot S. Chaouche A. Chevé M. Duclos J. M. Leduc P. Ménégazzi P. Monnier G. Ranini A. “NDSI-3: A small Bore GDI Engine” SAE 1999-01-0172
- Castagné M. Chevé M. Dumas J. P. Henriot S. “Advanced Tools for Analysis of Gasoline Direct Injection Engines” SAE 2000-01-1903
- Lafossas F. A. Castagné M. Dumas J. P. Henriot S. “Development and Validation of a Knock model in Spark Ignition Engines Using a CFD Code” SAE 2002-01-2701
- Habchi C. Torres A. “A 3D multi-block structured version of KIVA-2 code” Computational Fluid Dynamics '92 1 Hirch Elsevier Science Publishers 1992
- Habchi C. Verhoeven D. Huynh Huu C. Lambert L. Vanhemelrick J. L. Baritaud T. “Modeling Atomization and Break-Up in High Pressure Diesel Sprays” SAE 970881 1997
- Duclos J. M. Zolver M. “3D Modeling of Intake, Injection and Combustion in a DI-SI Engine under Homogeneous and Stratified Operating Conditions” 4 th International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines, COMODIA 1998 Kyoto, Japan
- Duclos J. M. Zolver M. Baritaud T. “3D Modeling of Combustion for DI-SI Engines” Oil & Gas Science and Technology, Rev. IFP 54 1999 2 259 264
- Habchi C. Foucart H. “Multidimensional Modeling of Gasoline Spray Impingement and Liquid Film Heat Transfer and Boiling on Heated Surfaces” ICLASS 2000 Pasadena, California
- Llory D. Le Coz J. F. Maroteaux F. Habchi C. “Liquid Film Atomization Due to Sharp Edge: Separation Criterion and Droplets Characteristics Model” ICLASS 2000 Pasadena, California
- Amsden A. A. O'Rourke P. J. Butler T. D. “KIVA-2, ? Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays” Technical report LA-11560-MS Los Alamos National Laboratory 1989
- Angelberger C. Poinsot T. Delhaye B. “Improving Near Wall Combustion and Wall Heat Transfer Modeling in SI Engine Computations” SAE 972881 1997
- Duclos J. M. Colin O. “Arc and Kernel Tracking Ignition Model for 3D Spark Ignition Engine Calculations” 5 th International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines, COMODIA 2001 Nagoya, Japan
- WAVE Manual Ricardo
- Colin O. Benkenida, A. Angelberger C. “3D Modeling of Mixing, Ignition and Combustion Phenomena in Highly Stratified gasoline Engines” Oil & Gas Science and Technology, Rev. IFP 58 2003 1 47 62