This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Geometrical Parameter Influence on Air/EGR Mixing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present work deals with the understanding and optimisation of air-EGR mixture phenomena since EGR strategy already showed its benefits on combustion and particularly on NOx emissions. Such benefits can be only observed with an accurate regulation system limiting EGR cylinder-to-cylinder maldistribution, otherwise a risk of opposite effect may appears (no NOx reduction with increasing of particulate emission).
Given the complexity to get EGR cylinder-to-cylinder distributions on « real » engine working conditions and to understand mixing process which occurs upstream cylinder head, a simplify bench has been built in co-operation with the Institute of Fluid Mechanics from Toulouse (IMFT) in order to characterise Air/EGR mixing owing to optical diagnostic (PIV, PLIF). EGR cylinder-to-cylinder distribution is also measured by a thermal method.
In order to improve knowledge on mixing process and to create a data base for further 3D unsteady CFD simulations, parametrical study was carried out concerning EGR rate, camshaft speed (600 rpm, 1200 rpm and 1500rpm) and geometrical parameters. Classification of studied configurations and analysis of their influence on mixture in manifold (somewhere representative of cylinder-to-cylinder distribution) is then proposed.
CitationWilliam, J., Dupont, A., Bazile, R., and Marchal, M., "Study of Geometrical Parameter Influence on Air/EGR Mixing," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1796, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1796.
SAE 2003 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V112-4; Published: 2004-09-15
Number: V112-4; Published: 2004-09-15
- Kohketsu S. Mori K. Sakai K. Hakozaki T. EGR Technologies for a Turbocharged and Intercooled Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE 970340 1997
- Lake T. H. Stokes J. Pendlebury K. J. Denbratt I. Development Experience of Multi-Cylinder CCVS Engine SAE 950165 1995
- Dütnholz M. Eifler G. Endres H. Exhaust-Gas Recirculation - A Measure to reduce Exhaust Emissions of DI Engines SAE 920725 1992
- Blank, H. Klotzbach P. Reuter W. Sari O. Innovative EGR systems for Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines 1999
- Siewert R. M. Krieger R. B. Huebler M. S. Baruah P. C. Khalighi B. Modifying an Intake Manifold to Improve Cylinder-to-Cylinder EGR Distribution in DI Diesel Engine Using Combined CFD and Engine Experiments SAE 2001-01-3685 2001
- Lujàn J. M. Payri F. Vera F. Guardiola C. Effect and Behaviour of the EGR Venturi in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE 2001-01-3227 2001
- Torres A. Henriot S. Modelling the Effects of EGR Inhomogeneities Induced by Intake Systems in a Four-Valve Engine SAE 961959 1996
- Gree R. M. Measuring the Cylinder-to-Cylinder EGR Distribution in the Intake of a Diesel Engine During Transient Operation SAE 2000-01-2866 2000
- Maurel S. Etude par imagerie laser de la génération et de la rupture dún écoulement tourbillonnaire compressé. Situation modèle pour la validation de simulations aux grandes échelles dans les moteurs I.N.P. Toulouse 2001
- Foucaut J.M. Carlier J. Stanislas M. On the spectral response of particle image velocimetry 2001
- Ben L. Etude de injection du carburant gazeux de substitution GNV dans les moteurs a pistons, imagerie laser, bilans énergétique et environnemental I.N.P Toulouse 2001
- Johari H. Pacheo-Tougas M. Hermanson J. C. Penetration and Mixing of Fully Modulated Turbulent Jets in Crossflow AIAA Journal 37 7 July 1999
- Raud N. Mélange Air/Gaz en situation instationnaire, Application à l'emploi du GNV I.N.P. Toulouse 1997
- Gimbres D. Boree J. Bazile R. Charnay G. Effect of air pulsed flow on the mixture preparation for the Natural Gas SI Engine» SAE paper, 1999-01-2905 1999
- William J. Dupont A. Anrigo P Bazile R. Marchal M. Cazin S. Lemasson G. Improvement of Understanding of Air/EGR Mixture Phenomena by Optical Diagnostics and 3D unsteady State Simulations FISITA Congres June 2002