This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of the Combustion System of a New Small DI Diesel Engine with Advanced Common Rail Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In-cylinder combustion phenomena, performance and emissions of a new single cylinder (225 cm3) naturally aspirated DI Diesel engine, with an advanced low cost common rail system for multiple injections, were investigated.
The main objective of the present work was the study of the combustion system in terms of combustion chamber geometry, spray angle and number, injection pressure as well as injections number per engine cycle to find the best compromise between smoke and NOx emissions. CFD simulations were made to optimise the combustion chamber shape and the spray angle of a 6 holes nozzle to control the in-cylinder soot formation.
The common rail (CR) system consisted of an in-house modified low cost PF Bosch injection unit for pumping the fuel up to 60MPa, a high pressure accumulator (rail) equipped with a pressure regulator valve and sensor as well as improved fast electronic drivers to drive both the pressure regulator valve and a commercial solenoid injector. A programmable electronic control unit (PECU) based on a dSpace processor was used to manage the fuel injection system in terms of injection pressure, start of injection, number of injections for engine cycle, duration of each injection as well as the dwell time between consecutive injections.
|Technical Paper||MFB50 On-Board Evaluation Based on a Zero-Dimensional ROHR Model|
|Technical Paper||A New Approach to Boost Pressure and EGR Rate Control Development for HD Truck Engines with VGT|
|Progress In Technology||Combustion & Emission Control for SI Engines|
CitationCorcione, F., Vaglieco, B., Corcione, G., Lavorgna, M. et al., "Study of the Combustion System of a New Small DI Diesel Engine with Advanced Common Rail Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1782, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1782.
Combustion & Emission Formation Process in Diesel Engines
Number: SP-1793; Published: 2003-06-24
Number: SP-1793; Published: 2003-06-24
- Stumpp, G. Ricco, M. “Common Rail - An Attractive Fuel Injection System for Passenger Car DI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 960870 1996
- Boehner W. Hummel K. “Common Rail System (CR - System) for Commercial Diesel Vehicles” SAE Paper 970345 1997
- Flaig, U. Polach, W. Ziegler, G. “Common Rail Injection System for Passenger Car DI Diesel Engines; Experience with Applications for Series Production Projects” SAE Paper 1999-01-0191 1999
- Imarisio, R. Rinolfi, R. “The Third Generation Direct Injection Diesel Engine for Passengers Cars” ATA Journal 52 8 9 1999
- Ganser. M.A. “Common Rail Injector with Injection Rate Control” SAE Paper 981927 1998
- Ganser. M.A. “Common Rail Injectors for 2000 and Beyond” SAE Paper 2000-01-0706 2000
- Schommers, J. Duvinage, F. Stotz, M. Peters, A. Ellwanger, S. Koyanagy, K. Gilden, H. “Potential of Common Rail Injection System for Passenger Car DI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-0944
- Bianchi, G.M. Pelloni, P. Filicori, F Vannini, G “Optimization of the Solenoid Valve Behavior in Common Rail Injection Systems” SAE Paper 2000-01-2042 2000
- Corcione F. E. Corcione G. E. Lavorgna M. Vaglieco B. M. “Potential of Multiple Injection Strategy for Low Emission Diesel Engines SAE Paper 2002-01-1150 2002
- Nehmer, D. A. Reitz, R. D. “Measurements of the Effects of Injection Rate and Dplit Injections on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions” SAE Paper 940668 1994
- Tow, T. Pierpont, D. A. Reitz, R. D. “Reducing Particulates and NOx Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 940897 1994
- Pierpont, D. A. Montgomery, D.T. Reitz, R. D. “Reducing Particulate and Nox Using Multiple Injections and EGR in a D.I. Diesel Engine SAE Paper 940897 1994
- Han, Z. Uludogan, Ali Hampson, G.J Reitz, R. D. “Mechanism and NOx Emissions Reduction Using Multiple Injection in a Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 960633 1996
- Fuchs, T.R. Rutland, C.J. “Intake Flow Effects on Combustion and Emissions in a Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 980508
- Corcione, F.E Mattarelli, E. Bianchi, G.M. Pelloni, P. Luppino, F “Numerical Study of the Combustion Chamber Shape for Common Rail HSDI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-1179 2000
- Corcione F. E. Mancaruso E. Merola S.S. Vaglieco B. M. “In-cylinder Combustion Analysis by Flame Emission Spectroscopy of Transparent CR Diesel Engine” SAE Paper Cobo Congress 2003
- Corcione F. E. Vaglieco B. M. Corcione G.E. Carpentieri F. Vitale G. “Multiple Injection Strategies for Low Emissions of a New Small Common Rail D.I. Diesel Engine” International Congress Motorische Verbrennung Haus der Technik Munich March 18-19 2003