This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Injector Deposits on Mixture Formation in a DISC SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a follow on study from earlier work investigating the influence of fuel parameters on the deposit formation and emissions from a direct injection stratified charge spark ignition engine. It was shown that injector fouling was the main reason for the increase in unburned hydrocarbon emissions and spray visualizations supported these results. The hypothesis is that the deposit buildup in the injector caused the increased hydrocarbon emissions due to an increased wall film formation.
To further verify the findings, Phase Doppler Anemometry measurements at simulated engine conditions, were performed. Measurements recorded on the injector axis 20 mm downstream from the injector orifice, showed that the initial pre-jet velocity was 30% higher and the drop mean diameter was 5% larger in the case of a used injector compared to a new injector.
Based on these investigations, spray files were set-up in the 3-D CFD-code AVL FIRE™. A moving calculation mesh, capturing the main geometrical features from the Mitsubishi GDI® combustion system, was created. With this calculation mesh, the influence of important parameters on the mixture formation was studied for the two injectors.
Simulations showed that the mass of fuel captured in the wall film with a new injector was equivalent to 10% of the total injected fuel mass. With a fouled injector this rose to around 30%. This supports the hypothesis that the injector fouling makes a significant contribution to the increased amounts of hydrocarbon emissions found in engine tests.
CitationLindgren, R., Skogsberg, M., Sandquist, H., and Denbratt, I., "The Influence of Injector Deposits on Mixture Formation in a DISC SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1771, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1771.
SAE 2003 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V112-4 ; Published: 2004-09-15
Number: V112-4 ; Published: 2004-09-15
- Cheng, S.S. and Kim C., Effect of Engine Operating Parameter on Engine Combustion Chamber Deposits. SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 902108, 1990.
- Fraidl, G.K., Piock W.F., and Wirth M., Gasoline Direct Injection: Actual Trends and Future Strategies for Injection and Combustion Systems. SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 960465, 1996.
- Harada, J., Tomita T., Mizuno H., Mashiki Z., and Ito Y., Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine. SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 970540, 1997.
- Kalghatgi, G.T., Combustion Chamber Deposits in Spark-Ignition Engines. A Literature Review. SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 952443, 1995.
- Kanda, M., Baika T., Kato S., Iwamuro M., Koike M., and Saito A., Application of a New Combustion Concept to a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine. SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 2000-01-0531, 2000.
- Kano, M., Saito K., Basaki M., Matsushita S., and Gohno T., Analysis of Mixture Formation of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine. SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 980157, 1998.
- Koike, M., Saito A., Tomoda T., and Yamamoto Y., Research and Development of a New Direct Injection Gasoline Engine. SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 2000-01-0530, 2000.
- Kume, T., Iwamoto Y., Iida K., Murakami M., Akishino K., and Ando H., Combustion Control Technologies for Direct Injection SI Engine. SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 960600, 1996.
- Sandquist, H., Denbratt I., Owrang F., and Olsson J., Influence of Fuel Parameters on Deposit Formation and Emissions in a Direct Injection Stratified Charge SI Engine. SAE Special Publications, Vol. 1629, No. 2001-01-2028, pp. 207-218, 2001.
- Sandquist, H., Lindgren R., and Denbratt I., Sources of Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Direct Injection Stratified Charge Spark Ignition Engine. SAE Special Publications, Vol. 1547, No. 2000-01-1906, pp. 101-111, 2000.
- Takeda, K., Sugimoto T., Tsuchiya T., Ogawa M., Ueda S., and Yoneshige K., Slit Nozzle Injector for a New Concept of Direct Injection SI Gasoline Engine. SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 2000-01-1902, 2000.
- Tomoda, T., Sasaki S., Sawada D., Saito A., and Sami H., Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine - Study of Stratified Mixture Formation. SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 970539, 1997.
- Zhao, F., Lai M.-C., and Harrington D.L., Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol. 25, pp. 437-562, 1999.
- Zhao, F., Lai M.-C., and Harrington D.L., A Review of Mixture Preparation and Combustion Control Strategies for Spark-Ignited Direct-Injected Gasoline Engines. SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 970627, 1997.