This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Vehicle Exhaust Y-Pipe on Tailpipe Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 05, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper analyzes the relation between sound pressure at tailpipe and exhaust Y-pipe structure. The length of Y-pipe influences sound order distribution that influences customers' responsiveness of sound. The equal Y-pipe remains the firing order and its harmonic contents while suppressing the half order and other whole order sounds. Various lengths of equal Y-pipe also influence the magnitude and frequency distribution of tailpipe noise. An air-to-air (induction-engine-exhaust) CAE model is built to predict tailpipe noise using up-to-date software. The real air-to-air model simulation shows that the 3rd and 6th orders are the dominating contents for equal Y-pipe exhaust system in 6-cylinder engine applications. The sound pressure of the half order contents increases with the length difference between two branches of a Y-pipe. The results are useful for exhaust Y-pipe design.
CitationPang, J., Rebandt, R., and Qatu, M., "Influence of Vehicle Exhaust Y-Pipe on Tailpipe Noise," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1657, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1657.
- Pang, J Kurrle, P. Qatu, M. Rebandt, R. “Attribute assessment of exhaust system” Ford Technical Journal November 2001 4 6
- Winterbone D.E. Pearson, R. J. Theory of engine manifold design Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, Pennsylvania, USA 2000
- Norton, M.P. Fundamentals of noise and vibration analysis for engineers Cambridge University Press 1989
- Futagami, Y. Iwamoto, J. “A study on the relation between pulsating flow and the noise” SAE paper 961822
- Sekine, N. et al “Shock wave development and propagation in automobile exhaust systems” SAE paper 88082
- Morel, M. Blaser, D.A. “Fluid dynamic and acoustic modeling of concentric-Tube Resonators/Silencers” SAE paper 910072
- Shen, F.Z. Backer, G. Simon, S. “Exhaust tips design analysis” SAE paper 971518
- WAVE documentation/user's manual Ricardo, Inc. 2002
- Johnson, C.M. “Vehicle exhaust sound specification development” SAE paper 951259
- Dedene, L. et al. “Engineering metrics for distributing sound elements of automotive exhaust noise” SAE paper 1999-01-1653
- Naylor, S. Willats, R. “The development of a ‘sports’ tailpipe noise with predictions of its effect on interior vehicle sound quality” SAE paper 2000-04-0312
- Ohsasa, Y. Kadomatsu, K. “Sound quality evaluation of exhaust note during acceleration” SAE paper 951314
- Hetherington, P et al. “Simulating odd fire V-10 exhaust noise for sound quality evaluation” SAE paper 1999-01-1652
- Bies, D.A. Hansen, C.H. Engineering noise control 1988 Unwin Hyman Ltd.