This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SEA for Design: A Case Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 05, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports on a case study involving the use of SEA methods in the acoustic design of an advanced design luxury sedan. The power of the analytical method was used to advantage in a case of a vehicle with very challenging NVH targets. Three practical issues are highlighted; review of a method to handle adding components that contribute acoustic absorption, presentation of data to aid vehicle content decisions, and design sensitivity analysis. This effort demonstrates an example in which SEA modeling provided relevant and timely input to the vehicle design team to aid decision making for sound package content.
CitationAubert, A., Long, J., Powell, R., and Moeller, M., "SEA for Design: A Case Study," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1565, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1565.
- DeJong. R.G., “A study of vehicle interior noise using statistical energy analysis”, SAE paper 850960, 1985.
- Moeller M.J. and Powell R.E., “Review of statistical energy analysis (SEA) applied to the automotive industry 1985 to 1997”, Noise-Con 98.
- Thomas, R.S., Pan, J., Moeller, M.J. and Nolan, T., ‘Improving SEA Models Using Quality Technology,’ Noise Control Engineering Journal, January, 1997.
- Huang, X., Moeller, M.J., Lee, J, and Powell, R.E., ‘Application of Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) to the Development of a Light Truck Sound Package,’ IUTAM Symposium on Statistical Energy Analysis, July 1997.
- Wang, D, Goetchius, G., and Onsay, T, ‘Validation of a SEA Model for a Minivan: Use of Ideal and Structure- Borne Sources,’ SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, SAE Paper 1999-01-1697, Traverse City, Michigan, May 1999.
- Bharj, T., Lee, J.J., DeJong, R., and Keller, T., ‘Accuracy of Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) Model to Evaluate Vehicle Noise Concerns,’ Internoise, Fort Lauderdale, FL., Dec. 1999.
- Moeller, Mark J., Thomas, Robert S., and Powell, Robert E., “An Assessment of SEA Model Quality,” SAE Paper 2001-01-1624, Traverse City, Michigan, 2001.
- Wang S., Ebbitt G., Powell R. E., “Development of a Generic Truck SEA Model with EFEA - SEA Hybrid Exterior”, Proceedings of Inter-noise 2002, N369, Dearborn, Michigan, August, 2002.