This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Minimize Driveline Gear Noise by Optimization Technique
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 05, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Driveline NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) has always been a critical issue in overall vehicle NVH design. For years, numerous efforts have been made in NVH reduction. This study focuses on the development of an optimization process for driveline system NVH design. Specifically, minimization of driveline dynamic gear meshing force was performed using commercial softwares Genesis (VR&D Engineering) and IDEAS (EDS). The optimization process includes design variable selection, problem formulation and optimization algorithm selection. The developed optimization process was applied to a driveline system design with a two-piece driveshaft and independent rear suspension axle, which includes more than 40 design variables simultaneously. Results show success of driveline NVH optimization for up-front driveline NVH design, as well as great potential for developing a vehicle NVH optimization method using hybrid-modeling technology.
CitationLee, Y. and Kocer, F., "Minimize Driveline Gear Noise by Optimization Technique," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1482, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1482.
- Lee; Y. Kocer F. “Driveline system noise, vibration, and harshness optimization” IMechE paper C605/002/2002 143 156 London, England 2002
- Steyer; G. Lim T.C. “System Dynamics in Quiet Gear Design” Proceedings of the 9 th International Modal Analysis Conference 999 1005 1991
- Doney; M. Lim; T.C. Steyer; G.C. “Dynamic Analysis of Automotive Gearing Systems” SAE paper # 920762
- Donley, M. Steyer, G. W Stokes, W. Monkaba, V. Neriya, S. Lee, Y. “Modeling of a Driveline System Using a Building Block Approach” SAE Noise and Vibration Conference and Exposition Traverse City, MI May 17-20 1999
- James; B. Douglas; M. Palmer; D. “Predicting the Contact Conditions for Hypoid Gear Sets by Analysis and a Comparison with Test Data” SAE paper 2002-01-1045 Transmission and Driveline Systems Symposium 2002 (SP-1655)
- Harris; O.J. Douglas; M. et al. “Predicting the Effects of Transmission Housing Flexibility and Bearing Stiffness on Gear Mesh Misalignment and Transmission Error” IMechE paper C577/005/2000 May 2000
- James, B. Douglas, M. “Development of a Gear Whine Model for the Complete Transmission System” SAE paper 2002-01-0700 Transmission and Driveline Systems Symposium 2002 (SP-1655)
- Donley, M. Steyer, G. W Stokes, W. Monkaba, V. Neriya, S. Lee, Y. “Final Report on F150 Axle and Driveline Dynamic Correlation Study” September 1998
- Donley, M. “Alternative Gear Modeling Method” MTS report 10 05 2001
- Lee; Y. Monkaba, V. “Visteon Axle Driveline Simulation Finite Element Analysis Tool” 2000 FISITA World Automotive Congress Seoul, Korea June 12-15 2000
- VR&D Engineering “Genesis User Manual-V7.0” August 2001