This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sound Power Sensitivity Analysis and Design Optimization Using BEM
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 05, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A general numerical formulation based on the Boundary Element Method (BEM) for computing radiated sound power sensitivity is presented in this paper. The total radiated sound power is computed using surface acoustic pressure and velocity information. Explicit analytical differentiation of the sound power with respect to acoustic normal velocities is performed on the boundary integral equations to obtain sound power sensitivity information. The formulation is applicable to structures with arbitrary geometries, free edges, openings, and multiple connections. Acoustic absorption materials applied on the structure surface can also be modeled as impedance boundary conditions. The developed formulation is validated and its application is demonstrated.
CitationZhang, Z. and Raveendra, S., "Sound Power Sensitivity Analysis and Design Optimization Using BEM," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1455, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1455.
SAE 2003 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V112-6 ; Published: 2004-09-15
Number: V112-6 ; Published: 2004-09-15
- Choi, K. K., Shim, I., and Wang, S., “Design Sensitivity Analysis of Structure-Induced Noise and Vibration”, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 119, No. 2, 1997, pp. 173-179.
- Hambric, S. A., “Sensitivity Calculations for Broad-Band Acoustic Radiated Noise Design Optimization Problems”, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 118, No. 3, 1996, pp. 529-532.
- Vlahopoulos, N., Dagg, C., and Bernhard, R. J., “Computation of Sensitivities for Passive Noise Control”, Proceedings NOISECON93, Inst. of Noise Control Engineering, Saddle River, NJ, 1993, pp. 529-534.
- Vlahopoulos, N., Raveendra, S. T., and Mollo, C., “Acoustic Sensitivity Analysis Using Boundary Elements and Structural Dynamic Response”, MSC 1994 User's Conf., MacNeal-Schwendler Corp., Los Angeles, Paper 7, June 1994.
- Allen, M. J., Sbragio, R., and Vlahopoulos, N., “Structural/Acoustic Sensitivity Analysis of a Structure Subject to Stochastic Excitation”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 39, No. 7, July 2001.
- Mallardo, V., and Aliabadi, M. H., “A BEM Sensitivity And Shape Identification Analysis for Acoustic Scattering in Fluid-Solid Problems”, Int. J. Numer. Mech. Engng. 41, 1527-1541, 1998.
- Cunefare, K. A., and Koopmann, G. H., “Acoustic Design Sensitivity for Structure Radiators”, Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 114, No. 2, 1992, pp. 178-186.
- Salagame, R. R., Belegundu, A. D., and Koopmann, G. H., “Analytical Sensitivity of Acoustic Power Radiated from Plates”, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 117, No. 1, 1995, pp. 43-48.
- Zhang, Z., Vlahopoulos, N., Raveendra, S. T., “Formulation of a numerical process for acoustic impedance sensitivity analysis based on the indirect boundary element method”, accepted for publishing by Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements.
- Vlahopoulos, N. and Raveendra, S. T., “Formulation, Implementation and Validation of Multiple Connection and free Edge Constraints in an Indirect Boundary Element Formulation”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 210, No.1, pp. 137-152, 1998.
- Raveendra, S. T., Vlahopoulos, N., and Glaves, A., “An indirect boundary element formulation for multi-valued impedance simulation in structural acoustics”, Applied Mathematical Modeling, Vol.22, pp. 379-393, 1998.
- Wang, S. and Lee, J., “Acoustic design sensitivity analysis and optimization for reduced exterior noise”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 574-580, 2001.
- Rus Guillermo and Gallego Rafael, “Optimization algorithms for identification inverse problems with the boundary element method”, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements 26 (2002), 315-327.
- Pierce, A. D., Acoustics: An introduction to its physical principles and applications, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1981.
- Filippi, P. J. T., “Layer Potential and Acoustic Diffraction”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 54(4), pp. 473-500, 1977.
- Banerjee, P. K., Boundary Element Methods in Engineering, McGraw Hill, London, 1994.
- Mikhlin, S. G., Variational Methods in Mathematical Physics, New York, MacMilan, 1964.
- Schenck, H. A., “Improved integral formulation for acoustic radiation problems”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 44(1), 41-58(1968).
- Burton, A. J. and Miller, G. F., “The application of integral equation methods to the numerical solutions of some exterior boundary-value problems”, Proceeding of the Royal Society of London, 323 (1971), pp. 201-210
- COMET/Acoustics User Document, Version 5.1, Collins & Aikman Corporation, Plymouth, Michigan, 2003.
- Kinsler, L. E., Frey, A. R., Coppens, A. B., and Sanders, J. V., Fundamentals of Acoustics, Third Edition, New York, John Wiley & Sons, 1982.