This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stability Assist System for a Two-Motor-Drive Electric Vehicle using Fuzzy Logic
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a novel method for motion control and driver stability assist system of an electric vehicle with independently driven wheels. A combination of two controllers for yaw rate and wheel slip is used to improve yaw stability of a two-wheel-drive electric vehicle. Vehicle speed is estimated using a multi-sensor data fusion method. To overcome the uncertainties in tire-road friction, a Fuzzy logic approach is employed for both controllers. The effectiveness of the proposed control method is evaluated by simulation.
CitationTahami, F., Farhanghi, S., and Kazemi, R., "Stability Assist System for a Two-Motor-Drive Electric Vehicle using Fuzzy Logic," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1285, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1285.
SAE 2003 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V112-6 ; Published: 2004-09-15
Number: V112-6 ; Published: 2004-09-15
- Matsumoto N. and Tomizuka M., “Vehicle Lateral Velocity and Yaw Rate Control with two Independent Control Inputs,” in proc. American Control Conference, pp.1863- 1875, 1990.
- Yoshioka T. et al, “Application of Sliding-mode Control to Control Vehicle Stability,” in proc. AVEC'98, 1998.
- Motoyama S. et al, “Quantitive Evaluation for Yaw Control Ability,” in proc. AVEC'98, 1998.
- Ackermann J., Guldner J., Sienel W., Steinhauser R. and Utkin V. “Linear and nonlinear controller design for robust automatic steering,” IEEE. Trans. Control Systems Technology, vol. 3, pp. 132-143, March 1995.
- Langheim J., Fetz J. “Driving Behavior of a vehicle with two Induction Motors for the rear wheels,” in Proc. Conf. EVS-11, pp1-11, 1994.
- Depoorter M. “Driver Assisted Control Strategies: Theory and Experiment,” in proc. ASME, 1998.
- Wang D. et al, “A Lateral Control Scheme for a 4 wheel Steering AGU,” in proc. IEEE international conference on Intelligent Vehicles, 1998.
- Tomizuka M. and Hingwe P. “Vehicle Lateral Control for Automated Highway Systems,” in proc. AVEC'98, 1998.
- Sienel W. “Estimation of the Tire Cornering Stiffness and its Application to Active Car Steering,” in Proc. Conference on Deceision & Control, Dec. 1997.
- Lim E., Hedrick K. “Lateral and Longituidal Control Coupling for Automated Vehicle Operation,” in Proc ACC, June 1999.
- Nagai M. et al, “Integrated Robust Control of Active Rear Wheel Steering and Direct Yaw Moment Control,” in Proc. Vehicle System Dynamics Supplement 28, pp. 416-421, 1998.
- Guldner J., Utkin V. and Ackermann J. “A Sliding Control Approach to Automatic Car Steering,” in Proc. American Control Conference, Baltimore, June 1994.
- Leffler H. “Consideration of Lateral and Longituidal Vehicle Stability by Function Enhanced Brake and Stability Control System,” SAE paper 940832, 1994.
- Chong U. et al., “Torque Steering Control of 4-Wheel Drive Electric Vehicle,” in Proc. Power Electronics in Transportation, Oct. 1996.
- Sakai S., Sado H., Hori Y. “Motion Control in an Electric Vehicle with Four Independently Driven In-Wheel Motors,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, vol. 4, No. 1, March 1999.
- Ackermann J. “Robust car steering by yaw rate control,” in Proc. Conf. on Deceision and Control, Honolulu, Hawaii, 1990, pp. 2033-2034.
- Sakai S., Hori Y. “Robustified Model Matching Control for Motion Control of Electric Vehicle,” in Proc. 5th AMC Conf., 1998.
- Bakker E., Pacejka H. B. and Lidne L., “A New Tire Model with an Application in Vehicle Dynamics Studies,” SAE transactions: Journal of passenger cars, no.98, pp. 451-439, 1989.
- Fan Z., Koren Y. and Weke D. “Practical Rule-Based Vehicle Traction control,” SAE paper 942402, 1994.
- Gillespie T. “Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics,” Society of Automotive Engineers, 1992.
- Halvaei A., Kazemi R. & Farhanghi S. “Yaw Moment Control of a Two-Wheel-Drive EV, Part I: Vehicle yaw moment control using Fuzzy Logic (in Persian),” 8th Iranian Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Isfahan, Iran 2000.