This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Knock Localization Methodology for SI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A methodology has been developed to determine, for every cycle on which significant knock is detected, the area in which self-ignition occurs. This methodology is based on the exploitation by a dedicated algorithm of a minimum of 4 simultaneous combustion chamber pressure measurements. The algorithm has been first tested on the results of engine knocking simulation, then applied with success on a single-cylinder engine equipped with classical pressure transducers and with an instrumented cylinder head gasket developed for this application. The results obtained with these two kinds of transducers on several engine configurations and tunings are similar. If the timing and intensity of knock events depend on all engine parameters, its location is especially sensitive to such design parameters as fluid motion into the combustion chamber and spark plug position.
|Technical Paper||A Contribution to Knock Statistics|
|Technical Paper||A New Diagnostic Method of Knocking in a Spark-Ignition Engine Using the Wavelet Transform|
|Technical Paper||The CFD Model of the Combustion Process in a Radial Engine|
CitationCastagné, M., Dumas, J., Henriot, S., Lafossas, F. et al., "New Knock Localization Methodology for SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1118, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1118.
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” Mc Graw Hill Publishing 1988
- Philipp H. Hirsch A. Baumgartner M. Fernitz G. Beidl C. Piock W. Winklhofer E. “Localization of Knock Events in Direct Injection Gasoline Engines” SAE paper 2001-01-1199 2001
- Töpfer G. Reissing J. Spicher U. “Optical Investigation of Knocking Location on S.I.-Engines with Direct-Injection” SAE paper 2000-01-0252 2000
- Lafossas F.-A. Castagné M. Dumas J.-P. Henriot S. “Development and Validation of a Knock Model in Spark Ignition Engines Using a CFD code” SAE paper 2002-01-2701 2002
- Ranini A. Monnier G. “Turbocharging a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine” SAE paper 2001-01-0736 2001
- Damion J.P. “Moyens d'étalonnage dynamique des capteurs de pression” Bulletin BNM Octobre 1977
- Mazoyer T. Fayet P. Castagné M. Dumas J.P. “Development of a Multi-Sensors Head Gasket for Knock Localization” SAE Paper Offer 2003-01-1117 2003
- Rayleigh J.W.S. “The Theory of Sound” 2 Dover, New York 1945
- Puzinauskas P. V. “Examination of Methods Used to Characterize Engine Knock” SAE Paper 920808 1992
- Zhang Z. Tomota E. “A New Diagnostic Method of Knocking in a Spark-Ignition Engine Using the Wavelet Transform” SAE Paper 2000-01-1801 2000