This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of High Temperature Diesel Engine Piston Ring and Cylinder Liner Tribology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Adiabatics, Inc. with the support of the U.S. Army Tank Automotive & Armaments Command has examined the feasibility of using Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) films and Iron Titanate (Fe2TiO5 or IT) for sliding contact surfaces in Low Heat Rejection (LHR) diesel engines. DLCs have long been a popular candidate for use in sliding contact tribo-surfaces where a perceived reduction of friction losses will result in increased engine efficiency . There exists a broad range of technologies for applying DLC films. This paper examines several types of these technologies and their future application to automotive internal combustion engines. Our work focuses upon DLC use for LHR military diesel engines where operating temperatures and pressures are higher than conventional diesel engines. However, a direct transfer of this technology to automotive diesel or gasoline engines exists for these thin films. The work presented in this paper examines laboratory phenomena between different types of DLC films , and also their suitability for use in the internal combustion engine.
CitationKamo, L., Saad, P., Mnatsakanov, R., Bryzik, W. et al., "Development of High Temperature Diesel Engine Piston Ring and Cylinder Liner Tribology," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1104, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1104.
- “Diamond and Diamond-Like-Carbon Films for the Transportation Industry” Office of Transportation Materials, U.S. Dept. of Energy, Argonne National Laboratory Argonne, IL February 1992
- “Structure and Properties of Diamond and Diamond Like Films” R.E. Clausing, Workshop on: Diamond and Diamond Like Carbon Films Argonne, IL 1992
- “Advancements in High Temperature Cylinder Liner and Piston Ring Tribology” Kamo L. Kamo R. Bryzik W. Mekari M. Jin Y.S. Li S.H. SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1237 Feb. 2000 Detroit, MI
- “Cylinder Liner and Piston Ring Coatings for Conventional Diesel Engines” Kamo L. Kamo R. Mundy D. Bryzik W. Mekari M. ASME - ICE Technical Conference Columbus, IN 1998
- “Laboratory Development and Engine Performance of New High-Temperature Diesel Engine Lubricants” Sutor P. Bryzik W. SAE International Congress and Exhibition Detroit, MI 1989
- “Friction and Wear Performance of Low Friction Carbon Coating Under Oil Lubrication” Kovalchenko A. Ajayi O. Erdemir A. Fenske G. Argonne Natl. Laboratory, STLE Annual Meeting Houston, TX 2002
- “Experimental Theoretical Model of Wear Intensity” of High Dynamic Load Condition 193 206 Dmitrichenko N.F. Mnatsakanov R.G. Saad P.F. Danyluk S. “Tribology - Theory and Practice” 0208-774 2 98 Warsaw, Poland
- “Evaluation of Ion Beam Assisted Diamond Like Carbon (DLC)Coatings for Low Heat Rejection Diesel Engine Piston Rings” Kamo Lloyd Bryzik W. Mekari M. ASME - ICE Div. Spring Conference San Antonio, TX 2000