This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of the Combustion Chamber of Direct Injection Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The optimization procedure adopted in the present investigation is based on Genetic Algorithms (GA) and allows different fitness functions to be simultaneously maximized. The parameters to be optimized are related to the geometric features of the combustion chamber, which ranges of variation are very wide. For all the investigated configurations, bowl volume and squish-to-bowl volume ratio were kept constant so that the compression ratio was the same for all investigated chambers. This condition assures that changes in the emissions were caused by geometric variations only. The spray injection angle was also considered as a variable parameter.
The optimization was simultaneously performed for different engine operating conditions, i.e. load and speed, and the corresponding fitness values were weighted according to their occurrence in the European Driving Test. The evaluation phase of the genetic algorithm was performed by simulating the behavior of each chamber with a modified version of the KIVA3V code. The parameters for the sprays and the combustion models were adjusted according to the experimental data of a commercial chamber geometry taken as baseline case. Three fitness functions were defined according to engine emission levels (soot, NOx and HC) and a penalty function was used to account for engine performance.
The goal of the optimization process was to select a chamber giving the best compromise of the selected fitness functions. Furthermore, chambers optimizing each single fitness function were also analyzed. The influence of the geometric characteristics on emissions has also been investigated in the paper.
Citationde Risi, A., Donateo, T., and Laforgia, D., "Optimization of the Combustion Chamber of Direct Injection Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1064, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1064.
Computer Aided Engineering of Vehicle & Engine Systems & Components
Number: SP-1740; Published: 2003-03-03
Number: SP-1740; Published: 2003-03-03
- Hippolyt Saurer Improvements in and relating to Internal Combustion Engines of the Liquid Fuel Injection Type December 13th 1934
- Lohr, J Maschf Augsburg Nuerberg Air Compressiong Internal Combustion Engine with Direct Injection June 4th 1974
- Neitz, A. D'Alfonso, N. “The M.A.N. Combustion System with Controlled Direct Injection for Passenger Car Diesel Engines” SAE paper 810479 1981
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals - Mc Graw-Hill New York 1988
- Tsao, K. C. Dong, Y. Xu, Y. “Investigation of Flow Field and Fuel Spray in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine via Kiva-II Program” SAE Paper 901616 1990
- Zhang, L. Ueda, T. Takatsuki, T. Yokota, K. “A Study of the Effect of Chamber Geometries on Flame Behavior in a DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 952515 1995
- Bianchi, G.M. Pelloni, P. Corcione, F.E. Mattarelli, E. Luppino Bertoni, F. “Numerical Study of the Combustion Chamber Shape for Common Rail H.S.D.I. Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-1179 2000
- Senecal, P.K. Reitz, R.D. “Simultaneous Reduction of Engine Emissions and Fuel Consumption using Genetic Algorithms and Multidimensional Spray and Combustion Modeling” SAE paper 2000-01-1890 2000
- Senecal, P.K. Montgomery, D.T. Reitz, R.D. “Diesel Engine Optimization using Multi-Dimensional Modeling and Genetic Algorithms Applied to a Medium Speed, High Load Operating Condition” ASME-ICED 2000 Fall Technical Conference 2000
- Wickman, D.D. Senecal, P.K. Reitz, R.D. “Diesel Engine Combustion Chamber Optimization Using Genetic Algorithms and Multi-Dimensional Spray and Combustion Modeling” SAE paper 2001-01-0547 2001
- de Risi, A. Manieri, D. Laforgia, D. “A Theoretical Investigation on the Effects of Combustion Chamber Geometry and Engine Speed on Soot and NOX Emissions” ASME-ICE 33 1 51 59 1999
- Senecal, P.K. Pomraning, E. Richards, K. “Multi-Mode Genetic Algorithm Optimization of Combustion Chamber Geometry for Low Emissions” SAE paper 2002-01-0958
- Carroll, D.L. “Genetic Algorithms and Optimizing Chemical Oxygen-Iodine Lasers” Developments in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics 18 411 1996
- Donateo, T. de Risi, A. Laforgia, D. “Optimization of High Pressure Common Rail Electro-injector using Genetic Algorithms” SAE paper 2001-01-1980 2001
- de Risi, A. Donateo, T. Laforgia, D. “An application of Multi-Criteria Genetic Algorithms to the Optimization of a Common-Rail Injector” 38 251 258 ASME Spring Technical Conference 2002
- Carlucci, A. P. De Risi, A. Donateo, T. Ficarella, A. “A Combined Optimization Method for Common Rail Diesel Engines” 38 243 250 ASME Spring Technical Conference 2002
- Amsden KIVA 3 - A KIVA Program with Block-Sructured Mesh for Complex Geometries Los Alamos National Labs 1989
- Donateo, T. de Risi, A. Laforgia, D. “Theoretical Investigation on the Influence of Physical Parameters on Soot and NOx Engine Emissions” 36 2 53 64 ASME ICE Spring Technical Conference 2001
- Han, Z. Reitz, R. D. “Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines Using RNG-k-e Models” Combustion Science Technology 106 1995 207
- Beale, J. C. Reitz, R.D. “Modeling Spray Atomization with the Kelvin-Helmoltz/Rayleigh Taylor Hybrid Model” Atomization and sprays 9 1999 623 650
- Halstead, M.P. Kirsch, A. Quinn, C.P. “The Autoignition of Hydrocarbon Fuels at High temperature and Pressure - Fitting of a Mathematical Model” Combustion and Flame 30 1997 45 60
- Abraham, J. Bracco, F.V. Reitz. R.D. “Comparison of Computed and Measured Premixed Charge Engine Combustion” Combustion and Flame 60 1985 309 322
- Hiroyasu, H. Nishida, K. “Simplified Three Dimensional Modeling of Mixture Formation and Combustion in a D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 890269
- Nagle, J. Strickland-Constable, R. F. “Oxidation of Carbon between 1000-2000 °C” Procedure of the Fifth Carbon Conference 1 Pergammon Press 1962
- De Risi, A. Donateo, T. Laforgia, D. “Theoretical Investigation on Variable Density Sprays” Atomization and sprays 12 2002 329 358