This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of New Advanced Combustion Systems Using Real-Time Combustion Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Due to stricter fuel consumption and emissions requirements new gasoline engine concepts using advanced combustion systems such as fully variable valve train and controlled auto-ignition (HCCI) become important.
Classical generic methods developed for system optimization with an increased number of variabilities (e.g. DoE - Design of Experiments), need extensions, because closed loop control is required for critical system parameters like valve train actuation and combustion behavior.
This paper describes a new approach called “controlled optimization”, which is an extension of DoE using real-time controllers for critical system parameters (e. g. combustion timing). This ensures stable engine operation and protection under all conditions. Less critical parameters are still used as simple DoE-set values. Combustion timing, directly related to spark advance in conventional gasoline engines, is also strongly influenced by valve timing parameters. Consequently this has a direct representation in the combustion controllers structure. ECU-structures for advanced combustion systems are still under development. Using “controlled optimization” leads to significant benefits in this area, because deep insight concerning parameter effects, interactions and controller structures can be obtained in a short time.
CitationLeithgoeb, R., Henzinger, F., Fuerhapter, A., Gschweitl, K. et al., "Optimization of New Advanced Combustion Systems Using Real-Time Combustion Control," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1053, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1053.
- Leithgoeb R. Piock W. F. Zrim A. Advanced Gasoline Engine Concepts and Respective Optimization Strategies JSAE 23-25 July 2002 Yokohama
- Henzinger F. Entwurf und Erprobung von Regelungskonzepten für die automatisierte Steuergeräteoptimierung January 2002 Technical University of Graz
- Koegeler H.-M. Fuerhapter A. Mayer M. Gschweitl K. DGI-Engine Calibration, Using New Methodology with CAMEO ICE 2001 23-27 September 2001 Capri-Italy
- Gschweitl K. Pfluegl H. Fortuna T. Leithgoeb R. Increasing the Efficiency of Model-Based Engine Applications through the Use of CAMEO Online DoE Toolbox ATZ Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift 7-8 2001
- Fuerhapter A. Piock W. F. Leithgoeb R. 27-28 Jun 2001
- Piock W. F. Leithgoeb R. Philipp H. Gschweitl K. Fraidl G. Applikationsmethodik für neue Ottomotorenkonzepte 22. Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium 26-27 April 2001 Vienna