This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Design Concept for Low Emission in Engine Systems 4th Report: Effect of Spray Characteristics of Mixed Fuel on Exhaust Concentrations in Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, the novel fuel design concept has been proposed in order to realize the low emission and combustion control in engine systems. In this fuel design concept, the mixed fuels with a high volatility fuel (gasoline or gaseous fuel components) and a low volatility fuel (gas oil or fuel oil components) are used in order to improve the spray characteristics by flash boiling. In our previous papers on this study, the fundamental characteristics of spray and its combustion of mixed fuel were reported.
In this paper, heat release and exhaust emission (smoke, NOx and THC) characteristics of single cylinder diesel engine operated with the mixed fuels were investigated under each load. The exhaust performance of diesel engine could be improved using mixed fuel, because fuel properties and spray characteristics were controlled by changing mixing fraction of the mixed fuel. Moreover, in this exhaust gas concentration measurement, initial fuel temperature was employed for experimental parameter in order to control flash boiling process in mixed fuel spray, for flash boiling can be easily occurred by increasing initial fuel temperature. As a preliminary investigation of the flash boiling effect, the spray experiment for mixed fuel was conducted using constant volume vessel. As a result, it was confirmed that flash boiling had the potential of drastic reduction of smoke emission since flash boiling improved the atomization and vaporization of mixed fuel spray with rapid fuel-air mixing.
CitationKawano, D., Senda, J., Wada, Y., and Fujimoto, H., "Fuel Design Concept for Low Emission in Engine Systems 4th Report: Effect of Spray Characteristics of Mixed Fuel on Exhaust Concentrations in Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1038, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1038.
- Suzuki, H. Koike, N. Ishii, H. Odaka, M. “Exhaust Purification of Diesel Engines by Homogeneous Charge with Compression Ignition Part 1: Experimental Investigation of Combustion and Exhaust Emission Behavior Under Pre-Mixed Homogeneous Charge Compression ignition Method” SAE Paper, 970313 1997
- Sheng, H. Z. Chen, L. Wu, C. K. “The Droplet Group Micro-explosions in W/O Diesel Fuel Emulsion Sprays” SAE Paper, 950855 1995
- Kadota, T. Yamasaki, H. Segawa, D. Kawatsu, T. Tsue, M. “Instantaneous Two Dimensional Visualization of Soot Concentration Profiles in The Diesel Spary Flame” Proc. COMODIA98 Kyoto 105 110 1998
- Nabi, M. N. Minami, M. Ogawa, H. Miyamoto, N. “Ultra Low Emission and High Performance Diesel Combustion with Highly Oxygenated Fuel” SAE Paper, 2000-01-0231 2000
- Sorenson, S. C. Mikkelsen, S. E. “Performance and Emissions of a 0.273 Litter Direct Injection Diesel Engine Fueled with Neat Dimethyl Ether” SAE Paper, 950064 1995
- Ofner, H. Gill, D. W. Krotscheck, C. “Dimethyl Ether as Fuel for CI Engines - A New Technology and its Environmental Potential” SAE Paper, 981158 1998
- Senda, J. Hashimoto, K. Ifuku, Y. Fujimoto, H. “CO 2 Mixed fuel Combustion System for Reduction of NO and Soot Emission of Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 970319 1997
- Senda, J. Yokoyama, T. Ikeda, M. Fujimoto H. “Spray Combustion of Liquefied CO 2 Mixed Fuel for NO and Soot Simultaneous Reduction” Proc. COMODIA 98 Kyoto 117 122 1998
- Senda, J. Ikeda, M. Yamamoto, M. Kawaguchi, B. Fujimoto, H. “Low Emission Diesel Combustion System by Use of Reformulated Fuel with Liquefied CO 2 and n-Tridecane” SAE Paper, 1999-01-1136 1999
- Senda, J. Hotta, I. Kawano, D. Fujimoto, H. “Fuel Design Concept for Low Emission in Engine Systems” Proc. 15th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium (International) Seoul 99 103 1999
- Senda, J. Kawano, D. Hotta, I. Kawakami, K. Fujimoto, H. “Fuel Design Concept for Low Emission in Engine Systems” SAE Paper 2000-01-1258 2000
- Kawano, D. Senda, J. Kawakami, K. Shimada, A. Fujimoto, H. “Fuel Design Concept for Low Emission in Engine Systems 2nd Report: Analysis of Combustion Characteristics for the Mixed Fuels” SAE Paper 2001-01-0202 2001
- Kawano, D. Senda, J. Kawakami, K. Shimada, A. Fujimoto, H. “Fuel Design Concept for Low Emission in Engine Systems 3rd Report: Analysis of Spray Characteristics for Mixed Fuels” SAE Paper 2002-01-0220 2002
- Lasheras, J. C. Fernandez-Pello, A. C. Dryer, F. L. “Experimental Observations on the disruptive Combustion of Free Droplets of Multicomponent Fuel” Combustion Science and Technology 22 195 209 1980
- Wang, C. H. Liu, X. Q. Law, C. K. “Combustion and Microexplosion of Freely Falling Multicomponent Droplets” Combustion and Flame 56 175 197 1984
- Mikami, M. Hashimoto, H. Kojima, N. “Investigation of Stochastic Characteristics in Disruptive Burning of Binary Fuel Droplets” Proc. 15th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium (International) 583 588 1999
- Niioka, T. Sato, J. “Combustion and Microexplosion Behavior of Miscible Fuel Droplets under High Pressure” Twenty-first Symposium (International) on Combustion/The Combustion Institute 625 631 1986
- Krämer, H. Einecke, S. Schulz, C. Sick, V. Nattrass, S. R. Kitching, J. S. “Simultaneous Mapping of the Distribution of Different Fuel Volatility Classes Using Tracer-LIF and NIR-Tomography in an IC Engine” SAE Paper 982467 1998
- Akihama, K. Fujikawa, T. Hattori, Y. “Simultaneous Laser-Induced Fluorescence Measurements of In-Cylinder Fuel Behavior of Different Boiling Point Components” Proc. 15th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium (International) Seoul 577 582 1999
- Styron, J. P. Kelly-Zion, P. L. Peters, J. E. White, R. A. “Multicomponent Liquid and Vapor Fuel Distribution Measurements in the Cylinder of a Port-Injected, Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 2000-01-0243 2000
- Pilling, M. J. “Low-temperature Combustion and Autoignition” Elsevier Amsterdam 1997
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Park, B. S. Lee, S. Y. “An Experimental Investigation of The Flash Atomization Mechanism” Atomization and Sprays 4 159 179 1994