This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation of Piston Rings Instability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The current SI engine designs submit the engine to operating conditions that require an improved performance of its components. The increase of the engine speed is a trend that generates a significant change in the engine components design approach.
During validation tests, some engines have presented blow-by spikes at high speed and low load operating conditions. The reason is an abnormal ring package motion due to the influence of the high inertia and small gas pressure loads.
This work presents a numerical simulation of a SI engine considering high speed and no load operating conditions, which showed blow-by spikes during engine tests. The numerical simulation tends to reproduce the blow-by spikes and identify the involved phenomena.
Based on the numerical simulation, other engines were analyzed and some guidelines for the piston and the piston rings were developed in order to minimize the blow-by spikes at the mentioned operating condition. Some engine tests have been done to support the guidelines.
CitationZottin, W. and Peixoto, V., "Numerical Simulation of Piston Rings Instability," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0981, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0981.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
Ci and Si Power Cylinder Systems
Number: SP-1744; Published: 2003-03-03
Number: SP-1744; Published: 2003-03-03
- Furuhama, S. “A Dynamics Theory of Piston Ring Lubrication, 1st Report-Calculation” Bull. JSME 2 1959
- Furuhama, S. Hiruma, M. Tsuzita, M. “Piston Ring Motion and its Influence on Engine Tribology” SAE 790860
- Furuhama, S. Tada, T. “On the Flow of Gas Through the Piston Rings” “The Discharge Coefficient and Temperature of Leakage Gas” Bull. JSME 4 1961 684 “The Character of Gas Leakage” Bull. JSME 4 1961 691
- Dowson, D. eti alli “Piston Ring Lubrication - Part III: Theoretical Analysis of a Single Ring and a Complete Ring Pack” ASME Dec. 1979 23 52
- Keribar R. Dursunkaya Z. Flemming, M. F. “An Integrated Model of Ring Pack Performance” ASME 113 382 389 1991
- Gulwadi, S. D. “A Mixed Lubrication and Oil Transport Model for Piston Rings Using a Mass Conserving Algorithm” ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 120 1998 199 208
- De Petris, C. Giglio, V. Police, G. “A Mathematical Model of the Evaporation of the Oil Film Deposed on the Cylinder Surface of IC Engines” SAE 972920
- Zottin, W. Clemente, M. “Predictive Analysis of Lube Oil Consumption for a Diesel Engine” SAE 950520
- Zottin, W. “Simulação da Dinâmica de Anéis de um Pistão Utilizado em Motores de Combustão Interna” POLI-USP 1993
- Zottin, W. Clemente, M. “Otimização do Consumo de Óleo Lubrificante de um Motor Diesel Rápido” SAE Brasil 973061
- Hiruma, M. Yoshida, H. Furuhama, S. Shin, K. “Effect of Piston Ring Movement Upon Oil Consumption” JSAF Review March 1983
- Ting, L. L. Mayer, J. E. “Piston Ring Lubrication and Cylinder Bore Wear Analysis, Part I - Theory” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Lubrication Technology, paper n.73 - Lub. 25 1974
- Kuo, Wei T. eti alli “Calculation of Flow in the Piston Cylinder Ring Crevices of a Homogeneous Charge Engine and Comparison with Experiment” SAE 1989 890838
- Lloyd, T. “The Hydrodynamic Lubrication of Piston Rings” Proc. IMECHE 183 1968 1969 28 34
- Truscott R. Reid T. “Ring Dynamics in a Diesel Engine and its Effects on Oil Consumption and Blow-by” SAE paper 831282
- Brombolich, J. L. “Effect of Cylinder Distortions and Piston Ring Design on Oil Consumption and Friction Losses in Automotive Engines” July 1988 U.S. Department of Energy USA
- Ruddy, B. L. Dowson, D. Economu, P. N. Baker, A. J. S. “Piston Ring Lubrication - Part III: The Influence of Ring Dynamics and Ring Twist” ASME Dec 1979 191 215
- Furuhama, S. Shin K. Tateishi, Y. “Measurement of Oil Film Thickness Between Piston Ring and Cylinder” SAE, paper number 830068 1983
- Gulwadi, S. D. “Analysis of Lubrication, Friction, Blow-by and Oil Consumption in a Piston Ring Pack” ASME-ICE 1997 Spring Conference
- Namazian, M. Heywood, J. B. “Flow in the Piston-Cylinder-Ring Crevices of a Spark-Ignition Engine: Effect on Hydrocarbon Emissions, Efficiency and Power” SAE 820088
- Gulwadi, S. D. “Analysis of Tribological Performance of a Piston Ring Pack” STLE/ASME International Tribology Conference Oct. 1999
- “RINGPAK - Documentation / Users manual version 3.3” Ricardo Software 2000