This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nondestructive Evaluation of Spot Welds Using Acoustic and Thermographic Imaging Techniques
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A series of laboratory experiments were conducted to determine the ability of acoustic and thermographic methods to evaluate the quality of individual spot welds and the structural integrity of spot-welded joints with and without adhesive. Test specimens consisted of spot-welded, adhesive-bonded, and weld-bonded lap joints in steel plates. The quality of the spot welds was altered by varying welding parameters. After nondestructive evaluation, the samples were peeled or subjected to mechanical tests to determine the strength of the welds. Results demonstrate that it is possible to detect defective spot welds in both the thermographic and acoustic images. Techniques are presented that allow identification of “stick” welds characterized by solid but weak contact. Methods to quantify the imaging results are being developed by comparing the acoustic and thermographic images to the data obtained from mechanical strength tests and modeling results.
CitationTürler, D., Hopkins, D., and Reverdy, F., "Nondestructive Evaluation of Spot Welds Using Acoustic and Thermographic Imaging Techniques," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0980, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0980.
SAE 2003 Transactions Journal of Materials & Manufacturing
Number: V112-5; Published: 2004-09-15
Number: V112-5; Published: 2004-09-15
- American Welding Society 1997 Recommended Practices for Test Methods for Evaluating the Resistance Spot Welding Behavior of Automotive Sheet Steel Materials Specifications Standards and Codes from the American Welding Society
- Guillaume N. Hopkins D. Nakagawa S. Nihei K. 2000 Complications of Using Resonance-Frequency Shifts to Detect Defective Joints Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation 19 Thompson D. O. Chimenti D. E. 1285 1293
- Nihei K. Nakagawa S. Hopkins D. 1999 Defect Detection Using the Reverberant Wavefield Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation 18 Thompson D. O. Chimenti D. E. 1517 1523
- Türler D. Hopkins D. Nakagawa S. Valente A. Nihei K. 1999 Thermographic and Acoustic Imaging of Spot-Welded and Weld-Bonded Joints Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation 18 Thompson D. O. Chimenti D. E. 1543 1551
- Hopkins D. Nakagawa S. Nihei K. Türler D. 1998 Imaging Flaws in Adhesive Joints Using Acoustic Techniques and Infrared Thermography Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation 17 Thompson D. O. Chimenti D. E. New York Plenum Press 1387 1394
- Mansour T.M. 1988 Ultrasonic Inspection of Spot Welds in Thin-Gage Steel Materials Evaluation 46 650 658
- Türler D. 1999 Predicting the Geometry and Location of Defects in Adhesive and Spot-Welded Lap Joints Using Steady-State Thermographic Techniques Proc. of SPIE the International Society for Optical Engineering 3700 LeMieux Dennis H. Snell John R. Jr.
- Balesand M. Bishop C. 1994 Pulsed Infrared Imaging: A New NDT Methodology for Above Ground Storage Tanks Materials Evaluation 52 7 814 815
- Griffith B. T. Turler D. Goudey H. 2002 Infrared Thermography Encylcopedia of Imaging Science and Technology 1 Hornak J. P. John Wiley & Sons 802 817
- Kessler L.W. Palermo P.R. Korpel A. 1972 Practical High Resolution Acoustic Microscopy Acoustical Holography 4 Wade G. New York Plenum Press 51 71
- Lemons R.A. Quate C.F. 1974 Acoustic Microscope-Scanning Version Applied Physics Letters 24 4 163 165
- Gould J. 1987 An Examination of Nugget Development During Resistance Spot Welding Using Both Experimental and Analytical Techniques Welding Journal Research Supplement 67 1 1s 10s
- Levander A.R. 1988 Fourth-Order Finite-Difference P-SV Seismograms Geophysics 53 11 1425 1436
- Robertsson J.O.A. 1996 A Numerical Free-Surface Condition for Elastic/Viscoelastic Finite-Difference Modeling in the Presence of Topography Geophysics 61 6 1921 1934
- Robertsson J.O.A. Blanch J.O. Symes W.W. 1994 Viscoelastic Finite-Difference Modeling Geophysics 56 9 1444 1456