This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low Cycle Fatigue of Spot Welds Under Constant and Variable Amplitude Loading
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Experience from several car projects shows that S-N curves for spot welds generated under load control in the high cycle fatigue regime might be very conservative when used in the low cycle fatigue regime. Therefore, force and displacement controlled low cycle fatigue tests were carried out on peel and shear loaded specimens. Both constant (CA) and variable amplitude (VA) load signals were used. Finally, a method for predicting fatigue life of spot welds with increased accuracy in the low cycle fatigue regime is proposed. The method is simple, fast and accurate and can be used together with linear finite element analysis (FEA) and existing fatigue packages.
CitationFermér, M., Henrysson, H., Wallmichrath, M., and Rupp, A., "Low Cycle Fatigue of Spot Welds Under Constant and Variable Amplitude Loading," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0913, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0913.
- Fermér, M. Svensson, H. Industrial experiences of FE-based fatigue life predictions of welded automotive structures Fatigue Fract. Engng Mater. Struct. 24 489 500 2001
- Rupp, A. Störzel, K. Grubisic, V. Computer aided dimensioning of spot-welded automotive structures SAE Technical Paper 950711 1995
- Heyes, P. Femér, M. A spot weld fatigue analysis module in the MSC/Fatigue environment Proceedings 1996 MSC World User's Conference MSC Software Corporation Costa Mesa, USA 1996
- Henrysson, H-F. Fatigue of Spot Welded Joints: Experiments and Life Predictions Department of Solid Mechanics, Chalmers University of Technology Gothenburg, Sweden 2001
- Mori, N. Amago, T. Ono, M. Sasanbe, M. Hiralde, T. Fatigue Life Prediction Methods for Spot Welds in T-shaped Members under Bending SAE Technical Paper 860604 1986
- Radaj, D. Sonsino, C. M. Fatigue Assessment of Welded Joints by Local Approaches Abington Publishing Cambridge, UK 1998
- Dabayeh, A. A. MacDougall, C. Topper, T. H. Crack opening stress reductions due to overloads and underloads in 2024-T351 aluminum and SAE 1045 steel Proceedings 6 th International Fatigue congress (Fatigue '96) 589 594 Pergamon, Oxford,UK 1996
- Sheppard, S. Pan, N. Bai, Z. Sheu, Y-C. Refinement and verification of the structural stress method for fatigue life prediction of resistance spot welds under variable amplitude loads SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2727 2000
- Henrysson, H-F. A Comparison of Variable Amplitude Fatigue Life Predictions for Spot Welds Proceedings of the Eigth International Fatigue Congress 397 404 Stockholm, Sweden 2002